Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Removing fuel tap

I'm trying to remove the nut with the filter that goes into the bottom of the fuel tank.
It's so stuck in there that I have ended up rounding it off.
Any ideas on how I can remove it without damaging it anymore.
I will be replacing it so as long as I can get it out without damaging the thread on the tank.

Cheers, Ron

Re: Removing fuel tap

This happened to me recently. File down the flats just sufficient to allow a smaller socket or spanner to get a purchase. Soak with WD40. Leave it overnight. Try again. Or you might be able to find a ‘metrinch’ spanner which bears on the flats. Or perhaps a ‘magic wrench’ type of tool.

It's always best to use a good fitting hex (6 sided) socket instead of a 12 point socket. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thanks John, will keep that up my sleeve if needed.

email (option): getholdofron@gmail.com

I remember I had this problem too.
The truth is that the WD40 was not my choice (In general I am not a fun of this material, which only misleads people).
I soaked the thing in a solution of 1 part ATF & 1 part acetone.
I came back after a few days and gently hit that brass nut with a hammer. A lot of gentle shocks are better than a few strong ones.
It must not be forgotten that the bottom of the old fuel tank is no longer as strong as it used to be.
If your tank can get heat, ie you are able to fill it with water or it has been open for several years (as in my case), then heating the area does wonders and is always better than any other solution.

email (option): michasteinmann@gmail.com

A carefully applied propane or MAP gas flame on the nut will take it off no sweat.

Brass and steel have much different expansion co-efficients. So, heat the nut which will
also burn off any sludge. let cool a bit, 6 point spanner or socket. Viola!

Remember, steady as she goes. NOT..... Talley HO! The fox!

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1