Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1947 EX WD bargains.

Re: 1947 EX WD bargains.

Bloody Hell Steve! Those Mansfield saddles are only 15 Bob! I was seen off!!:smile: Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Funny to see that a number of Nortons are offered at a price higher than paid by the military, even in used condition!

email (option): wd16h@telfort.nl

Rob it's been noted that a lot of the ex WD bikes sold by Pride and Clarke (and probably others) were totally stripped and repainted in shiny civy colours. Also I guess any remedial work to the rest of the bike would have been carried out to give as near a new bike as possible. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I remember the Harley's being sold at Marble Arch motor supplies being all nice and shiny so I think they must have been stripped painted and rebuilt.

By coincidence I was looking at the Despatch Registers for Royal Enfield WD/COs on Monday. Many of the original entries (which showed a huge batch delivered to Catterick) are crossed out and in red ink new despatch and Dealer details added. They were sent to dealers all over the UK from 1946 to 48 in the book I looked at, even one to Toronto. We know these bikes were 'Factory Refurbished" but most of the ones I saw were from later contracts (44 etc,) so I'm guessing they chose the least worn out first!
REgards, Mark

The chap who bought my M20 from a dealer after demob in 1968 paid a premium for one of the rebuilt ones...

The bike had been comprehensively rebuilt mechanically, had a full set of equipment, including field stand, sump guard ,pannier bags etc. and had been finished in all over maroon...(black was an alternative option apparently)...
This paintjob was not a quick 'blow over' job...Rather the bike was fully stripped back and properly repainted...
Engine and gearbox were included in that respect so it was very 'maroon'!!...I knew the bike in this form for many years, before I eventually bought it from its second post demob owner...He had sprayed it in Nato green without stripping it as many did at the time...
When I eventually stripped it down for a rebuild after a couple of years the maroon was evident on any surface that wasn't exposed..
In fact I kept the MU42 headlamp shell which was still maroon inside when I replaced it with a DU42...I still have that as a sort of record of that phase of the bikes history...
So if anyone wants to build a replica of a 'demob' M20 I've got a perfect colour match for the paint!...:laughing: ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1