Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
E10 is coming...

18/06/2021 UK Motorcycle Dealer News

['The standard petrol grade in the UK will become E10 this summer. Currently, UK petrol is E5, meaning it contains up to 5% bioethanol. E10 petrol will see the amount of bioethanol increase to 10%.

Most modern motorcycles and petrol cars manufactured after 2011 are E10 compatible say the DVLA. However, around 5% of petrol vehicles made before 2011 will need to continue to use E5 petrol which will remain available as the super grade petrol option at the pumps.

Using E10 fuel in an incompatible petrol vehicle will not cause immediate harm but continued use could damage engine’s parts...']

E10 will soon be the 'standard' petrol grade...So make sure you select the right pump (super unleaded E5) when you call in to top up the old banger..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Re: E10 is coming...

I doubt if it will make much difference. If your carburation is perfect, you might have to richen it a little. Over winter storage could be worse if you don't drain the carb and fuel tank due to corrosion. I have run petrol alcohol mixes for years.

email (option): pes.sales@btconnect.com

Mark Cook
I doubt if it will make much difference. If your carburation is perfect, you might have to richen it a little. Over winter storage could be worse if you don't drain the carb and fuel tank due to corrosion. I have run petrol alcohol mixes for years.
Mark has it
E 10 is not a problem in a Wm20 I ran e10 in mine for decades when it was being used almost daily .
Where is is a problem is all of the once a month but only on a fine day riders.
When left sitting, particularly anywhere that is damp water will condense in the fuel tank & carb
this will drop to the bottom & combine with the ethanol
This ethanol /water mix is a perfect growing medium for a bacteria & a couple of alge so you end up with a very acidic belmongue in the bottom of your carb eating through the zinc and rusting the fuel tank.
I replace at least 30 float bowls on lawnmowers where the e10 byproducts have dissolved all of the zinc plate and the bowls are now rusting.
About a dozen carbs are scrap metal because the acid by-products have eaten away too much of the body.
Even when there is no perminant damage a spring service on a mower left sitting with fuel in it all winter will need a big clean in the ultrasound.

The simple solution as Mark said is to run the carb dry and keep the tank either full to the brim or completely empty and cap removed .
Some brass main jets & venturii tubes rotted but these had been sitting for several years .
E 10 seems to go off a bit quicker than standard unleaded in summer

Trevor lives in New South Wales where they've had ethanol in petrol for quite a while. (correct me if I'm wrong?).
Here in South Australia there's very little of the stuff but it's coming, our government is slowly seeing to that.

Has anyone yet tried the process of removing the ethanol from the fuel (mixing with water, letting it settle and draining off the separated water/ethanol mix)?
Rich.

email (option): richardpurkiss@hotmail.com

Bob
Trevor lives in New South Wales where they've had ethanol in petrol for quite a while. (correct me if I'm wrong?).
Here in South Australia there's very little of the stuff but it's coming, our government is slowly seeing to that.
Yep,
We have had e10 for near 20 years.
Now it is mandatory & every servo not only has to stock e10 but gets fined if the ratio of e10 to non e10 sold is below a certain threshold
One of the local servos is going broke because he did not do e10 and was always busy
Now every pump has e 10 and only 2 have plain petrol and he is going broke as no one goes there any more as you have to pass 2 others before him.
Considering they were designed to run on pool petrol, e10 should be no problems lack of performance wise in an M20.
Thus the only trouble is corrosion from non use .
we even have e85 but I am yet to find anything that runs on it.

Because SA has so much wind power you lot go out of the e10 reducing CO2 target bull dust .
I would like some one to explain how burning 3% more fuel to go the same distance actually reduced the amount of CO2 that comes out the tailpipe .

What you inducing is called phase separation. When this happens all your octane and additives stays with the water. May be ok for an old war bike, but certainly nothing else.

email (option): cbhaws@verizon.net

Hi trevor
Sorry, don't get your last paragraph. We've got lotsa wind power here.
Do you burn more juice with E10 or what?
They're giving my local servo a massive makeover. It's going from a sort of Aussie version of a Midsomer Murders prop to a standard rows of bowsers job. I hadn't thought about it but now I wonder if they'll put an E10 pump in. Hope not.

When we changed from leaded to unleaded we lost about 10% of the fuel economy because unleaded has less energy.
I had to go up 3 jet sizes in the RR wedding cars .
E 10 has less energy again so you use more to go the same distance
But magically e 10 is supposed to put less CO2 into the atmosphere because you have a higher ratio of C to H in the fuel

Supposedly adding 10% ethanol to the fuel will reduce the CO2 emissions but it actually adds because you need a wider throttle opening to to go same speed.
Then when you look at the CO2 created by the manufacture of the ethanol you are a long way behind the amount of CO2 generated in the production of strait petrol

Every state has made a pledge to become carbon neutral in the near future.
So SA exports wind electricity to Victoria & NSW and get carbon credits for the amount of coal that those 2 states did not burn to make the same amount of electricity . Then buy back Hydro from Tasmania & in a pinch Hydro storage from the Snowy.
Thus you can CLAIM to have net 0 CO2 production while still driving around in petrol & deisel powered cars.
Voodoo economics.

And I might add that the ethanol producer is a relation of ex-Prime Minister Howard & a staunch financial supported of the Liberal party.
Thus Liberal states push e10 a lot harder than Labour states.

The whole CO2 thing is somewhat of a scam and the media have had a feeding frenzie on it such that 99% of the population actually believe that if they put solar panels on the roof & drive an electric car everything will go back to the way it was before the industrial revolution.
The whole CO2 campaign is based on a simple assumption based on a relationship that is more of a co-incidence that a cause & effect.
So yes the CO2 levels have gone up & that has made a contribution to climate change, but it is a lot smaller than is being touted.
Land clearing for the massive & unsustainable population increase is the prime driving factor.
Then there is the over consumption of short service life manufactured goods ( not M20's of course ) using a massive amount of energy to create land fill .
But a statician plotted temperature rise against the partially know but mostly estimated CO2 content of the air and got a nice linear relationship so the only problem is CO2 in the minds of those who can not think or are too lazy to think.
So we have to replant 1/3 of the land mass to pull down that CO2 & convert it into timber while producing more food sustainably from less land without fertilizers or genetic modification to feed the extra 2,000,000,000,000 people who will be walking around in 2050

Thanks for all that trevor. I haven't been back to NSW for a few years (I hail from there) but I remember lots of E10. My mate ran his Holden Commodore on 95 because ordinary 91 was a bit hard to get.
I remember that little mate of Howard's. Howard got into a bit of trouble over him at one stage but he just explained that he'd answered much better questions than the ones he'd been asked, & those superior answers proved he was legit.

Here in the UK with have 95 and 97 at the pumps, do they both currently have E5? or does it depend on the company?

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Rob when it all started and for several years after, we were advised by the FBHV in the "Windscreen" mag that super unleaded at independent stations (Not supermarkets) was still Ethanol free. So I've always bought my bike petrol as advised. But I've noticed for some time now that even these pumps are marked E5. I still continue with it and add a small squirt of Frost's Ethomix. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Since the introduction of ethanol and petrol that goes off quick , I have ran most not all my classic bikes on avgas.

Come the end of the biking year if it has the awful ethanol rubish petrol I simply drain it out otherwise when left it goes off and also will cause damage.

So yes get down to your local airfield and fill a 20 ltr can with avgas. Or failing that use aspen its a little more expensive but will do the same and start 1st time and will last forever like old fuel. But again make sure you drain that awful e fuel out before hand.

email (option): chriscool@sky.com

Nieuwe pagina 1