WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: crank pin/big end assembley

william morrell
Hi,
Has any member had anything to do with, or used a crank pin/big end assembly that was made in India.
Enquiring as i need a new one for my wM 20.
Regards Bill
get one straight from Alpha bearings, they cost around 200 quid from the manufacturer. Indian offerings are often around half that so you might want to consider the quality you get for that price.
It is a replacement you will only probably do once and involves a lot of work, so saving a few quid would not be my highest priority

http://www.alpha-bearings.com/Big%20end%20Catalogue/BSA350-500.htm

cheers
Pete

email (option): petercomley@web.de

We've just received the material for making pins and rings, so we should have them finished in a couple of months.
Ours use a higher quality bearing compared to the originals.

email (option): pes.sales@btconnect.com

I'd echo Dave's view. Alpha recently made up a larger crank pin for my M21 because, when dissembled, one flywheel taper was too loose. Their prices are fair, so I wouldn't want to gamble on a cheaper big end bearing.

email (option): cmmacd@hotmail.co.uk

There were some big ends around where the pin had been turned & not ground
These wore rapidly with the expected results
Considering that you generally do the crank bearings at the same time, it is a lot of work & money to cave a few quid.
Also considering the life span of a good big end they are dirt cheap.
I would have put in well over 200,000 miles on the big end that was in the bike when I got it and the bike had been the first owners daily ride for near 20 years .

Nieuwe pagina 1