Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: WM20 brake linings revisited How thick??

The linings are 1/8" thick. If you are going to arc them in, you may want to go with a little bit thicker material.

As for asbestos, my father worked in a boiler factory after the war. He said it was pretty much snowing asbestos all the time on the shop floor. He made it to 91 years old with no problems.

One of my sons who never knowingly worked with asbestos died from it three years ago.

Very sorry to hear that Ian. No one should out live their kids. It seems that Asbestos is one of those things which has no effect on some people, but it can kill from just one grain.

At age 11 I helped my dad lag our 12' steam boiler with chicken wire and Asbestos Meal. Mixing it up with my hands with water in an old tin bath and smearing it all over the boiler. I thought it was great fun at the time:white_frowning_face: Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Yes it is strange stuff. As you said it effects some people and not others. I look back to the 60s and blowing out brake drums for years, it doesn't bear thinking about.

Yep me too Ian, I worked as a motor mechanic back then. I can still taste the stuff. Ron

So sorry to hear that. Mesothelioma comes from one source that I know of and that is asbestos.
I hope you my find comfort for your pain.

email (option): cbhaws@verizon.net

My linings are over 1/8” and some rivets are almost at the lining level.
Must be thicker than that?

email (option): cbhaws@verizon.net

The WM20 Standards book quotes the linings are .156" (5/32") when new and .140" is acceptable at overhaul and replace when just above the rivets. Ron.

I have several NOS sets of brake linings. When I finish the move, I'll mic then out. Remind me though!

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

Robb,

If you have M20 brake linings for sale, I would like a set.

Regards,
Bruce
California USA

Nieuwe pagina 1