Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Piston failure

I had to be towed a few miles home today, thanks wifey, took the head off & the piston's literally disintegrating. Metal flakes everywhere, a small bite size of the piston crown nearest the valves gone. I can see the top ring. Barrel scored horribly.
Any advice on theoretical causes of this? I'd had the head off about 1000 miles previously to fit a better gasket & everything looked OK then.

Re: Piston failure

This sort of damage is very often caused by weak mixture and over advanced ignition.

Which valve is it nearest to?...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I would certainly check the ignition timing before any further dismantling. Pre-ignition would be my first thought.

Hi Bob.
Grad a MM21flywheel.
Mr.Wrights 720 piston up grade.
They will see only the tail of ya bum.
PS.R30 in the mix is ok 2.
Hi All with Respect

email (option): Drewnolanki@gmail.com

Pinking can be tollerated but full blown detonation can blow a hole in a piston in as little as 2 combustion cycles
Ask race tuners about how quick it can happen.

Thanks for the thoughts.
The engine is currently a standard 600 with an alloy head. Only deviation is that the barrel is one of the linerless types, recently fitted with a standard size liner & piston.
The carby is a brass Allparts 276 replica in good condition. It has a 170 main jet with the needle in the #2 position. It's been like this for a fair while.
Plug colour is a milk chocolate brown, hard to read plugs these days.
I'd given the timing a quick check recently & it was a shade advanced, about 1/16". Will do so again.
The hole in the piston is a neat arc equidistant from both valves. A dainty bite size. Most of the scoring's there.
I hadn't heard any pinking noises.
Compression was a bit down lately & I was thinking of investigating- should've done so sooner.

Well I have to eat humble pie regarding the ignition timing. Measuring with the head off, the points are starting to open at about 9/16". I've no idea how I got that so wrong, it doesn't do much for one's self confidence.

It happens Bob, your a brave man to admit it. Best of luck with the rebuild.

email (option): pes.sales@btconnect.com

Nieuwe pagina 1