WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 1938 BSA M series frame/engine info required

Leon KM20.1478
Trevor,

I don't understand why you think that is amazing. I have about 30 pre war BSAs and save for 2 all have the original engine and frame combinations. Since I want to ride my bikes as well I have not always used the original engine cases as some have been damaged by the mag being loose on the platform and causing havoc on the cases like on my Y13. Since parts availability was difficult after the war these bikes were patched up as much as possible so there were some improvements (like I would do on a contemporary bike) to keep it running or make it more rideable (like a simple twist grip instead of the horrible internal twist grip set up). Even if the engine was changed over, often the owner kept the original engine. Maybe I was just lucky or maybe things are not as bad as you think.

Regards,
Leon
I suppose it is just about how people used their motorcycles.
Down here they were used as daily transport, in the USA seems to be weekend warriours.
And then there is mileage
Down here we tend do a lot of miles and if the bike is a ride to work vehicle then you fix it as fast & cheaply as possible.
Then they get passed down to the kids and often become paddock bikes so same story.
Never many friendly BSA dealers but lots of British Bike wreckers.

I have 14 pre WWII motorcycles in various state of completeness and dissrepair
None of them have engine & frames that belong together , some are the right models but none are matching years.
2 x A 10's 2 x A 7 & 6 unit singles again all mixed & matches.
In fact the only matching numbers are the WM20 , the C10L, B 50 & A65L .

It could also have a lot to do with the registeration systems used down here
Before Harleys became the most popular bikes to steal ( still are ) british bikes were tops on the light finger list.
And up until the late 80's you could pinch a bike in NSW , then swap the engine with another pinched bike and rebirth them both in Victoria or Queensland .
After the 90's you had to change the numbers but it is no hard to add another number or letter into a BSA stamping.
Because computers were used and because the police refused to accept offers from various bike clubs to sort out potential rebirthing something like WM20 777777 could be changed to AWM20 777777 or WM20P 777777 or even WM20 1777777 and all of them would pass right through the system .

Hi all again
I wonder if anyone has found records of impressed civilian bikes that went into government use?
Mine, a 1938 BSA M23 frame number JM19 300 was used at a RAF base and the registered with a buff log book in 1942. At some point it had a military M21 engine fitted. By chance I have found a low numbered JM23 engine that the late George Wander had which I bought from him.
Not sure if I will fit it yet.

email (option): Mcsutcliffe67@gmail.com

We do have lists with civilian impressed bikes in the Australian Army. But for as far as I know, there is no such list for the British Army I'm afraid...

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

Jan
We do have lists with civilian impressed bikes in the Australian Army. But for as far as I know, there is no such list for the British Army I\'m afraid...
Thank you for reply.
I thought it maybe unlikely, with so many motorcycles taken or used with different government departments there would have been no need to record all the information at that time.

The term "impressed" is a bit of a misnomer really, as the British Government didn't compulsorily purchase any private vehicles. There were a couple of schemes to purchase motorcycles, and those subsequently taken on to strength were given WD serials from batches allocated to what RAOC referred to as "Local Purchase" and RASC as "Impressed". Both these terms relate to how 19th Century armies obtained supplies in the course of a campaign.

Most Local Purchase / Impressed were actually factory or dealer stock,but a number of large dealers were authorised to purchase vehicles on behalf of the Ministry of Supply and private owners, aware that there wouldn't be much fuel for the duration did take up the offer.

From memory, purchases were limited to 350cc - 500cc solos. If they had a civilian registration number, this would have been retained for Home Office use, although the army would have issued a WD number.

Extensive records were kept, but they simply weren't retained once the vehicles were sold off at the end of the war. What are the registration letters on your bike ?

Rik
The term "impressed" is a bit of a misnomer really, as the British Government didn't compulsorily purchase any private vehicles. There were a couple of schemes to purchase motorcycles, and those subsequently taken on to strength were given WD serials from batches allocated to what RAOC referred to as "Local Purchase" and RASC as "Impressed". Both these terms relate to how 19th Century armies obtained supplies in the course of a campaign.

Most Local Purchase / Impressed were actually factory or dealer stock,but a number of large dealers were authorised to purchase vehicles on behalf of the Ministry of Supply and private owners, aware that there wouldn't be much fuel for the duration did take up the offer.

From memory, purchases were limited to 350cc - 500cc solos. If they had a civilian registration number, this would have been retained for Home Office use, although the army would have issued a WD number.

Extensive records were kept, but they simply weren't retained once the vehicles were sold off at the end of the war. What are the registration letters on your bike ?
Hi Rik. Thanks for that info.
There is a lot of ifs, buts and maybe’s with my BSA.
My bike was first registered in 1942, but to make it more complicated, it was registered on engine number of JM23 159 which I believe was the engine fitted in the bike. This was period correct type stamped under seat. The original frame number JM19 300 which is clear and untouched presumably could not be found as it is not in the usual WM20 location.
My bike, JM19 300 went to Duff and Sons.
I have been told according factory records that my bike had a higher than 300 engine number.
and JM19 800 had my engine number. (See other posts in this section)
I believe hand written records may have been mid read at some point.
So basically a lot of maybe maybe. Not sure I will ever know.
Bike came to me with a WD type M21 engine fitted.
it was registered to hq at a Raf base in Wiltshire 1942,
in 49 on a continuation buff log book which I have.

Registration is
GUC 972

GUC 972 is indeed a 1942 London series. Probably all that can be said with certainty is that at some point between 1938 and 1942, the original registration had become lost. It may be that it had been taken on by the armed services in 1939 and then released in 1942 as production of contracted types came on stream.

Of all the pre-war factory records that I've seen, BSAs are the worst. Trying to maintain accurate ledgers in pre-computer days whilst using the same series of frame numbers for engines listed in multiple ledgers was asking for trouble.

Rupert's conclusion above, that a "3" and an "8" have been misread at some time are most likely. It would be reasonable to assume that a job or 'tally' card accompanied each frame, and if that had a badly written figure "8" which the number-stamper mis-reaad as a "3" then the frame would have been incorrectly marked and effectively BSA would have despatched two machines with the frame number JM19 300 and none with JM19 800.

Is the frame number in the usual pre-war position of lower engine lug ? It's certainly odd that it has the engine number stamped on as well, but this could have been done to ensure a removed engine went back in the correct frame.

Is it the case that the old buff logbook shows matching JM23 159 numbers for both engine and frame ?

Yes, buff log book shows engine and frame as JM23 159. I am sure this was done when registered or re registered in 1942. Most likely as whoever or which ever workshop did not know where original frame number is, they also did not know what cc it was as engine is down as a 350cc which makes it even more likley to me that it was someone in a workshop without knowledge of BSA models.
Lower lug on front down tube is where my correct frame number JM19 300 is stamped.
I am going to apply for a new registration using correct frame number at some point, but am intrigued as to what went on in 1942 with the bike.
The continuation buff log book of 1949 was registered to Alan Douglas EDE, 32 Airman hq. Raf Hullavington. Chippenham Wiltshire
I expect I will not find anything more out except lots of mistakes were made at that time with details of my bike.

Marcus, do you know if the JM19 frame register still exists ? If so, it would provide a useful double check on any information given in the engine books.

I've looked at, for instance, the KM20 frame ledger and the KM20 standard and deluxe engine books and they're not always consistent.

As an aside, here is a 1940 mention of the scheme for local purchase of civilian machine. As far as I'm aware, the threatened compulsory scheme never came.

IMG-3557-2

Rik, thanks for giving my query some thought. I assume frame register does exists as VMCC date certificate quotes frame as being assigned as a M23 with a tally number. If that is what you mean?
I suppose what this is all leading to is, do I keep all the wrongly registered buff log book, engine number stamped on frame, wm21 engine, etc as all genuine and real history, which I believe it is ! Or would it be viewed as just a story with nothing to back any of it up. I like to have bikes with interesting history.
Hence hoping to try and find out more.
If I re register bike on original factory frame number which I could, then I feel everything else that went on with the bike is lost and not relevant any more, which would be a shame.

Marcus, the JM19 and JM 23 engine books (first column is engine number followed by frame) are at the VMCC and the JM24 frame and engine books are both there...but I don't know if the JM19 frame book is...there are gaps and missing items. The next year's KM23 shared a frame with the KM22 and that book still exists.

I had a look at these for someone, a long time ago, but BSAs are not my speciality and I probably missed a lot. I think that you can still visit the VMCC and view the microfilm copies but they no longer allow the actual ledgers to be handled. Maybe you'd see some clues that others have missed or not been able to interpretate.

If it does still exist, the JM19 frame book will list all the frames and show which type of engine was fitted, together with number.

My personal feeling is that I'd rather have a V5 that reflects the correctly-located and factory-stamped frame number. Did you say if you have a current V5 ? If not and you use the old logbook, it will be retained by DVLA anyway and if they send an inspector, there is a risk that you could end up with a 17 digit VIN stamped on the frame.

Hi Rik.
I think I will apply to DVLA for a age related reg for my M23. I have the frame info from VMCC already and can get a dating letter. The frame info states it was designated as a M23.
Like you say, it is better to be registered on correct frame number, I have a JM23 engine but it needs work. Still, a empire star is a good BSA to have although I will not restore it in anyway.

Nieuwe pagina 1