Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Matchless WD G3L | Exhaust Valve Spacer

Hello,

I did notice from the Matchless WD manual that a distance sleeve is fitted under the exhaust valve spring.
Is this part required as our WD has been running quire ok without this.
How important or trivial this part actually is?

FB-IMG-16246215403144

email (option): prataphenry@gmail.com

Re: Matchless WD G3L | Exhaust Valve Spacer

The part number is 39-8-E191 and to my mind, another typically strange idea from Matchless. It can only be there to add more tension to the springs on the exhaust valve? In that case why wasn't the head made the right shape to start with or the correct springs used??

The only other thing I can think of, is to divert heat from the springs......I can't remember seeing it on other makes! Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Many many thanks Ron.
I presume that missing this will not have any impact on the performance.
Quite an easy thing to make. So I'm wondering if I should just make one.

Regards
Pratap

email (option): prataphenry@gmail.com

Hey Buddy! How are you? Nice to see you here. Have you had Covid shots?

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

My WD G3L hasn't got one and it runs very well,it's absence can't do any harm so don't worry about it carry on.
Richard.

I think that the spacer is to distance the exhaust valve spring from the cylinder head, the exhaust valve side would probably be hotter than the inlet side. AMC motorcycle would not have fitted it if it was not needed. Possibly wartime pool petrol used at time burned hotter than more modern fuels

email (option): millspray@yahoo.com.uk

if no spacer, bottom collar is different.

Well I still don't get it. The top and bottom cups and collars for both the inlet and exhaust are identical. So what is the spacer actually for? As proven, the engines seem to run perfectly well if it's left out?? Ron

Not a heat insulating washer ? Norton did that at one time as springs were losing temper.

Well that was one thing that I thought of in an earlier post. The spacer was also part of the set up on the previous model G3. Ron

I have the drawing of the spacer, email me if anyone needs it.

Robb, don't mention politics or Covid stuff here, it's got nothing to do with motorcycles!

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welb**e.net

If you omit the spacer you need a bigger indent in the bottom collar so that it seats on the head instead of wobbling about on the valve guide which protrudes 9/16s of an inch if you read the drawing.

I think you're wrong Ken. The collars are the same for both valves and will drop down over the guides onto the head, however far the guides protrude. Ron

Nieuwe pagina 1