The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: BSA M20 for sale

John Parker
Seems to cheap to me specially from a shop as most complete ones in Australia are asking around $10000 nearly complete. But not getting that much been army one near Melbourne that has been on Ebay and gumtree for about 18 months. I notice the head has been off and looks like timing case covers might be missing screws not sure though. Might be missing internals for sure. Plenty are buying restored bikes from auctions here that have been in museums and have no engine or gearbox internals and Honda wheel rims but look the part from the distance with nice paint job. If you look at it and it is reasonable complete then yes a great buy with the girder forks. Last time I looked on Gumtree and Bike sales there were about 6 WM20 for sale around $10000. Trouble is trying to find someone to refurbish girder forks if they are stuffed. The old hands who knew about these bikes are now in old peoples homes or the grave yard unfortunately.
It is not from a shop but a private collector who is thinning down his collection.
Looks about right for an old club ride bike before every one became precious about originality .
I think this is the Neil who rang me a couple of weeks ago & the advice was go for it and check in with this list for help.

WM20's go a for a lot lower price down here than they do in the UK.
Post WWII I rather think the UK government sent a lot of unused WM20's down here .
They certinally sent us a lot of Welbikes to be sold off to us "wealthy Aussies "
Over the years I have come across way too many WM20's with matching numbers and numbers that are not in the Aust Army ledgers for there to be any other conclusion.
The price disparity is getting near the point that it will become very profitable to start sending them to the UK by the container load

Re: BSA M20 for sale

Something about that bike bothered me from the day I firs saw the photographs of it
Now it has come back
That looks very much like Don Nolans old M20.
From memory that went to his brother Max after he died and Max would be getting on by now as well.
Don wanted girders and because he was getting on a bit and the body had sufferred from years of motorcycle racing back in the day he also wanted some rear end springing .
His shoulders were quite bad thus the deluxe forks with the rubber mounted handle bars
Down side was he had not ridden since having children and the ride from Lidcome to Homebush ( about 4 miles ) was too much and he had to get MArk to ride the bike home while I drove him back.

Don't think I ever saw it again as he decided to do some thing with his round tank that he never managed to finish
A really good bloke & keen BSA enthusiast .

Nieuwe pagina 1