Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: primary screws

It wasn't me that suggested tapping the holes out bigger. Like Bruce says, I can't see the point in that. The original size was was 3/16" but all the suppliers will sell you 2BA screws or if the threads are weak or gone you can run a 5mm tap through which is slightly bigger.

I've glued my cork gasket into the outer cover with Evostick and grease the other face on assembly. The gasket has been on there for some years now and been off and on a few times and no leaks. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

sorry guys, i knew what i meant as i was writing but did a poor job of explaining, most of the threads are gone in the holes and the screws wont tighten, some even have wee nuts on the backside, i have done my best to true up the cases but as i have to take it off again anyway for another issue i thought i would resolve the issue with the holes by tapping them out but couldnt remember what id read regarding this, so 5mm it is
thanks so much for the info again
Kevin

Kevin, one thing you could try is a UNF 10-32 screw. The listed diameter of a 10-32 is a hair bigger in diameter compared the original 3/16" Cycle and I have had success with these without resorting to tapping the captive nuts on the inner.
If your captive nuts are really flogged out then this is probably not going to help but would be worth a look I think.

The original 3/16" Cycle are listed as having a major diameter of 0.1875" (32TPI).
2BA are a whisker thinner at 0.1850" (31.4TPI).
10-32 UNF are a whisker larger at 0.1900" (32TPI).

Of course manufacturing tolerances will mean the 2BA & 10-32 screws available now will vary slightly from supplier to supplier but I have found the 10-32 screws to be a really nice fit and they are available with fillester heads as a bonus.

email (option): rays54@hotmail.com

Ditto...I use those as well...Along with the fillister head they are also available in stainless (if you like that sort of thing)....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

When I was building my primary case, I brazed new nuts on all round. The bottom half I then filled with extra braze around the holes and dressed back & /tapped through to increase the mating surface, no leaks so far, 300 miles into bedding her in.

email (option): LarkesrAAATTTgmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1