Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Clutch Spring & Cush Drive Spring - BSA M20

i have the cush drive nos complete and the spring also
if anyone interested i hope i can help
cheers

email (option): sl_hussein@yahoo.com

Some one must be making square section springs because I bought 4 of them last year fromBill Green when he was selling down his stock prior to the proposed sale of the business which fell through.
I would guess they originated in India where he got a lot of parts made but these seemed to be good as I am using one right now & have another in the model S .
The M20 one has done quite a few thousand miles on his spring without any problems .

Hi Trevor could they be new old stock as Bill sold me complete float bodies a while ago that were left behind in India by the British. He had some good bits prior to getting parts made in India. He offered me carburetter parts last year but as soon as I saw the finish on them I knew they were Indian made and inferior quality.

Whilst sourcing other springs I thought I would look at the clutch spring and the crank shock absorber too as John has given up. At a push they could use the same wire.
To start with they are not made from rectangular wire, so new tooling will have to be made for the wire. If it was rectangular, the metre long piece of wire would be about £30.00ukp for carbon steel wire. I didn't ask about silicon chrome steel wire, but that would give a better life.
So once you have the wire in the correct profile, it seems the spring winder also needs bespoke tooling.
I haven't given up the research, but it's that same old thing again. How much would someone pay for a spring?
50 metres of rectangular wire is about £1500.00ukp, so not unreasonable.

email (option): pes.sales@btconnect.com

Test figures (specs.)for the springs are available and round wire would do the job as long as the poundage was correct...I guess it's down to asking a spring maker whether the poundage and essential dimensions provided are possible with a round wire...

Later BSAs did use round wire for the engine shock absorber when the change was made from 4 lobe to 2 lobe cams but the poundage was completely different as the gentler radii of the 2 lobe type cam required a heavier spring for correct operation...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1