Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Leak free tranny - possible

Yes Ian I have always removed the inner seal, but I can't help thinking...Is it necessary? There was often a problem with Wiilys Jeep gearboxes where the oil would pump from the gearbox into the transfer box through the open mainshaft bearing. The fix was/is a sealed bearing and the one I bought had steel seals on both sides and the instruction was, to leave them intact. I also think that wheel bearings work harder than a gearbox main bearing and possibly get just as hot??? Ron

Bob
OK Michael, thanks.
PS what BMW?
R51

email (option): michasteinmann@gmail.com

These are questions that don't have an answer...You would have to do a long term road test under similar conditions with both set ups to determine definitively which method is best in terms of gearbox bearing service life, so we'll never have the true answer I suspect...

The purpose of the modification is to reduce/stop oil leaks through the bearing and having a single seal fitted seems to achieve that OK...
Removing the inner seal gives the bearing lubrication in the way that was originally intended and IMO there seems no logical reason to change that if early bearing failure is not an issue...

At the end of the day I suppose everyone must pick the theory they prefer...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1