The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: what should i be looking for

Hi Lee,

I'm in the States, and have started out with an oil stain and a greasy rag.

I now have two lovely WD M20's, and a pair of WD G3l's.

If you want, I can fax an oil stain to you.

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

I know that's a joke but I wouldn't want Lee to take it literally and get the wrong idea about building up from nothing......Keep looking for a bike or most of one Lee!...Ian:smile:

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Hi all,

Ian's right: it's simple madness to build any bike up from parts. It costs more than the finished article's worth and is a painstaking process. For me, once I decided thst I wanted a WM20, it was a choice between a big piggy bank or a long term project. Covid made the decision for me: the path of madness.

If I'd had the money, I'd have bought a more or less complete bike. That way, I'd have got many of the pricey, fiddly bits, despite the need to dissemble and check it all. But looking back, it's kept me more or less sane to have a 'project'. I don't recommend it, but at least I'll know every damn nut and bolt. And if it goes bang, it'll be all my fault...

Whatever gets ya there!

email (option): cmmacd@hotmail.co.uk

Good Morning Lee,
Is a motorcycle from abroad also an option for you?
I have been toying for a year with the idea of ​​selling my motorcycle + sidecar, top condition and with 12 volt alternator convertion, home made (looks far better then it sounds, can send you some pics).
The bike was completeley disassembled and renovated back to excellent condition. From the sidecar I left only the chassis, all sides, etc. are completely new.
I'm located in Israel.
I have not yet published it here in Israel.

email (option): michasteinmann@gmail.com

The reply from Iain says it all really [I think they've moved into the realms of fantasy....It's all that film work the bike has supposedly done..It's got a REME rebuild plate from Ashleford and it's had a replacement frame, something you wouldn't really have expected on a bike with a 'genuine' 200 or so miles on the clock...It's also a mixture of M20 parts from different wartime years and has post war handle bar levers..I haven't really examined the photos for anything else.....In other words a typical not very well finished M20..Nothing wrong with that at a sensible price, which is probably the price they paid for it.] In other words, if you built a bike from separate parts, it would - realistically - end up something like this one, only it probably would have cost you more than what is being asked for here - which is not extortionate in the open market.

I Got my wm20 in several boxes and mist of the stuff wasn't m20 stuff when I sorted it out properly. And I payed silly money for it .

All the small parts like spacers ,nuts , bolts and other stuff really mount up in costs , and thats before even starting on, mags, dynamos, carb and all the other parts and tinware. And then putting the jigsaw together .

I think I have 10k in my bike at the moment and still not close to riding, but had non stop help from this forum . But one thing it looks brand new like its out of a factory and not like alot off the dogs you see for sale .

email (option): chriscool@sky.com

Nieuwe pagina 1