Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: New Norton 16H Cylinder Barrel

Whereas the M20 did use a 'stepped' liner..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Ian Wright
['Pre-'38 Big 4 barrels are, as per the later (and WD) type, about an inch taller than 16H cylinders (the extra 20mm stroke)....']

The barrel would only need to be 10mm (.400" approx.) taller due to a 20mm longer stroke...

Is there a rod and/or piston difference as well?..Ian

Ian, same rod, different crank and very different pistons (Big 4 were flat topped and 16H have quite a raised crown).

The difference in height resulted in the need for the cutaway fuel tank hidden behind the rubber on the WD Big 4 as otherwise the plug couldn't be removed.

Forgot to mention that the barrel is 16cm from the base (not including the spigot) to the top where the head gasket would fit.........on the left side 13 fins.......I haven't got my 16H here at the moment to compare...........

Norton 16H / 18 Motor Height

Would someone be able to tell me how many inches tall a Norton 16h and or 18/es2 motor is from the bottom of the crankcase to the top of the head / rockerbox? Thanks Anton

email (option): antoneastman@gmail.com

Re: Norton 16H / 18 Motor Height

Anton
Would someone be able to tell me how many inches tall a Norton 16h and or 18/es2 motor is from the bottom of the crankcase to the top of the head / rockerbox? Thanks Anton
WD16H is about 18.5", 38 pattern Model 18 is about 22", measured with the tank on so a rough measurement. It will fit in the frame if that's what you want to know, but you won't get the rockerbox off.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

['It will fit in the frame if that's what you want to know, but you won't get the rockerbox off..']

I don't know anything in detail about the Model 18 engine but the 'Big Fin' Gold Star has the same problem...The head and rocker box have to come off together before the rocker box can be removed from the head...

However, if the rocker box studs are replaced with bolts it is possible to get it off without removing the head (which is a right pain)...Might that work for the Norton?...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

In the proper frame you can take the engine apart. I guessed the measurements were to see if it goes in a WD16H frame? It's tight, the bolts come out but it won't lift over the valve springs.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Thank you very much guys for the measurements. This should help me.

email (option): antoneastman@gmail.com

So what was the reason for the question, Anton ? With a little more information, you could probably have received a much more detailed answer. There aren't many things that haven't been tried in the world of old motorcycles ! :grinning:

Rob, perhaps different liners existed? This one is still in cosmoline and was wrapped in brown paper with Norton designation. The paper is gone.

email (option): cormiersam@hotmail.com

Hello Samuel,

According to a Hepolite catalogue, all Norton models in the thirties (WD16H upto 1947) had plain liners.

Flanged liners are post war items for e.g. Dominators.

Cheers,

Rob

email (option): wd16h@telfort.nl

Nieuwe pagina 1