Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Wanted: M20 Wiring Harness

See this site for a package of all the colours you need for a M20 in various sizes and really cheap. 1 package is enough to do at least 2 M20's.

https://www.martoparts.nl/pakket-krimpkous

Regards,
Bastiaan

email (option): wdmotorcycles@gmail.com

Make your own so much easyer, I followed Rons advice to the T and his surpplyer with the rubber colour codes also. Only thing I did diffrant was ad a resister to the main feed to the rear light so I could add a rear brake switch and stoll keep an Orginal looking light on the back.

email (option): chriscool@sky.com

These are the 1 ohm resistors I use. I wire the tail lamp and the stop lamp through a single filament 21W bulb. Ron
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122180980450?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=422422868355&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

www.motolab.nl

John 👍

email (option): john.kater@chello.nl

John, just had a look on that Motolab website, and that wiring loom is absolute rubbish!!! can't be more incorrect!

Stay away from that please guys!

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welb**e.net

Ron, are you not working your dynamo ever so hard by effectively drawing 21w at all times ? Surely much kinder to use an LED rear ?

It's only 21W when I brake isn't it Rik? Ron

Lex
John, just had a look on that Motolab website, and that wiring loom is absolute rubbish!!! can't be more incorrect!

Stay away from that please guys!

Cheers,

Lex
Hi Lex, It is genuine Lucas. 😁

John

email (option): john.kater@chello.nl

Rik
Ron, are you not working your dynamo ever so hard by effectively drawing 21w at all times ? Surely much kinder to use an LED rear ?
I just experimented with an LED tail lamp. But it doesn't accept any resistance so is on maximum light up as soon as I turn the tail lamp on. So I've gone back to my 21W bulb, which doesn't appear to draw much current according to the ammeter? Ron

That resistor won't work with an LED, Ron...I've been trying to double-check about the load on the dynamo using the resistor...Apparently it's not all that straightforward to calculate as the resistance of the incadescent bulb will vary according to current. It would certainly free up some power for the headlamp if an LED was used at the rear. Your resistor will reduce current draw compared with running the 21w bulb, but it seems difficult to find out how much less.

This is the little ceramic 3w resistor that I use with one of Henk's LED bulbs. The set-up only draws milliamps.

OLYMPUS-DIGITAL-CAMERA

I'll use what I've got until you come up with the ultimate solution Rik. The original lamps look so much better with just one wire. Ron

Ron, I quite agree....it would be sacrilege to butcher an original MT110. I can sort of shut out the switch from my mind's eye, but the MT has to have the single screw connector.

Hi With an avionics guy made my own wiring harness, added to my maintenance manual a copy of the wiring harness we made

email (option): Gawls62 @icloud.com.au

I've made several correct color and tracers from disused MG harnesses!
FREE wire, and modern bullet connectors. Bit of harness tape and Viola!

You can wire a dozen bikes from one harness you can get for peanuts.

Start thinking and stop spending. There are loads of free resources
out there. Think recycling (lol)

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

Hi all,

I have read somewhere that LED lights are going to be illegal on classic vechicles, not too sure if bikes are included.

Dave

email (option): jeepfinger@blueyonder.co.uk

The changes to the lighting regulations have already been made....The available information is both confusing and subject to opinion it seems....Also there's the question of whether what can pass an MOT test is then road legal...and of course, most classics don't need an MOT....:laughing: ...
Life would be so much simpler without the people who have to justify their employment by solving non existent problems by the application of new rules...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Post-war MG Harnesses are no good for making authentic wartime motorcycle harnesses. We need black cable with small coloured rings;..No post-war bullet connectors either.

In terms of legality, my understanding is that LEDs have never really been 'legal' as the statutes stipulate minimum bulb wattages...but the LEDs are brighter, so it's a nonsense.

What the hell, we're motorcyclists and most of us have spent the best part of half a century breaking one law or another. :relaxed:

'Always break at least one rule a day'...One of my favourite sayings...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

lighting

Is there a detachable connection in the genuine loom to enable the rear lower mudguard to be removed? If so, where & what is it?

Yes Bob! It's a single screw together bullet connector. There are, or have been repros around. Ron
DSCF3738-2
DSCF3734

Thanks Ron.
I currently use a couple of rubber shrouded push in connectors (tail & brake lights & run on the left side to accommodate the stop switch).
It gives a reasonable '40s-'50s effect but it's always good to know how things were really set up.

Nieuwe pagina 1