Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
BSA WM20 basket case

I have just bought a couple of military bikes. The first one is a 1940/41 BSA WM20. It has a data plate on it . The top line says W/SHOP NO 40 BASE, does anyone know where this was ?

Also says DATE OF O/HAUL 9 57 which is self explanatory followed by BSA 705.

Any information would be gratefully accepted. Also how do you put photos on this forum ?

email (option): tony-wilkinson@sky.com

Re: BSA WM20 basket case

Tony Wilkinson
I have just bought a couple of military bikes. The first one is a 1940/41 BSA WM20. It has a data plate on it . The top line says W/SHOP NO 40 BASE, does anyone know where this was ?

Also says DATE OF O/HAUL 9 57 which is self explanatory followed by BSA 705.

Any information would be gratefully accepted. Also how do you put photos on this forum ?
Hi Tony,
40 Base Workshop REME was located in Singapore!

regards, Richard

What's the other bike you've purchased Tony?

email (option): fuzzyempire@hotmail.com

Other bike is a Triumph TRW 500 1952, also a basket case. It turns out both of these bikes were out in Singapore. I have Singapore reg nos and tax discs for both bikes.

Oh dear lord what lovely basket cases!

Best regards,

Simon

Yes I was very lucky. Both bikes were found in a brick built shed at the bottom of a very overgrown garden from a derelict house which was bought at auction recently.

The guy I bought them off was contacted by a farmer friend who was told about the find from the new owners who wanted to get rid of all of the parts. He probably bought them for a song but fortunately for me did nothing more than pick up all of the parts and then put the Triumph up for sale. Fortunately he sent me some photos of all of the parts in the shed and I realised there was actually two bikes in there.

He agreed then to sell me both bikes. There is a tax disc holder with private tax discs from both bikes so I am assuming one person actually owned both of them in Singapore. Perhaps bought them at auction after the British pulled out in 1971. I do not yet know. I will keep up the research.

He knew their worth and I had to pay quite a lot for them. I am more than happy though because these sort of 'barn finds' are becoming very rare.

The WM20 is largely complete and came with some new parts such as re-bored barrel, new piston, new valves and guides, big end and mains seem perfect. Tin ware is all sound except for the toolbox which has a little rot which I can repair.

The Triumph is missing rims, spokes and rear hub, alternator and I am sure other bits and pieces but all of the tin ware is there and in good shape. It came with a spare engine which has new pistons, valve guides and tappets. I have not yet stripped it but it appears in very good condition.

These two projects will keep me going for a couple of years I am sure. I am in the process of finishing a 1963 Triumph 5TA in Competition trim and then I intend to start on the BSA WM20 next.

We would love to see some pictures, Tony

I have pictures but I don't know how to post them.

You can use this site....https://imgbb.com/.....or send them to me if you want and I'll stick them on.

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Tony's Bike. Ron
BSA-M20-1
BSA-M20-2
BSA-M20-3
BSA-M20

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thanks RON, much appreciated. I will try to reduce the file size of some of the other pics.

Interesting... I was at 40 Base Workshop, Ayer Rajah Road Singapore when that M20 was overhauled!

email (option): binnawan@iinet.net.au

Wow, how long were you over there ?

Tony.

Tony, I sent you an email, I might have more info on your bike.

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welb**e.net

I was there in 1957 doing a course at 40 Base with REME. I was based up country at 2 Infantry Workshops Taiping.

email (option): binnawan@iinet.net.au

Nieuwe pagina 1