Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Exhaust Valve Lifter Clearance

Does anyone have tips on setting up the M20 exhaust valve lifter please? Creaky knees have finally motivated me to get mine working, but I’m finding it a devil of a job to adjust. Everything is present and working individually, but I find that even with just a few thou clearance between the lifter peg and the bottom of the collar, pulling the trigger lever results in barely any lift of the valve. Certainly not enough to create a noticeable decompression. It’s as if the engine-end lever isn’t being pulled through enough angle. The handlebar trigger creates only about half an inch of cable movement. Surely such a simple device shouldn’t be so finicky to get right and need such a fine clearance at the valve?
Thanks,
John

email (option): John.childs1@btopenworld.com

Re: Exhaust Valve Lifter Clearance

It sounds like you will have to move the little lever on the barrel round by one tooth on it's spline and reset the adjustment from there. Certainly not the best from the BSA design room, especially if your exhaust valve is pocketed (sunk) on its seat. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thanks Ron. It’s actually a nearly new valve and sits well proud of the seat. The peg is maybe 30 degrees up from its BDC when it starts to touch the collar, so not near the point where rotation causes maximum vertical lift. I’ve already rotated the lever on the spline to make it as near as possible just clear the collar with the cable adjuster at mid point. Then I tweak the adjuster so the peg just begins to scrape the collar when the handlebar lever is at about 1/3 pull. This makes a visible lift of the valve, but not enough to do anything useful! I’ll have another look at it tomorrow.

The valve only needs to be cracked off its seat to decompress the engine. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I noted how little the valve lifts off its seat when the lifter is operated when I had the head off recently. If dexcomprsses fine though.

Useful tips, thanks. I’ll have another go at it tomorrow.

Nieuwe pagina 1