Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New 'Amal' Carb....

When Burlen fuels first reintroduced the 276 carb I immediately bought a new one for my M20 and it's performed faultlessly since that time...Today I ordered a 289 for my 1951 B33 and am hoping for a similar result...Price was £368.82 delivered....
I've heard various reports on the performance of these Burlen carbs, some good and some bad and my own experiences bear that out..Whilst I've had no problems with the 276 or other carbs I've bought I have had problems with a Concentric from the same company, so this purchase is perhaps a bit of a gamble ...

Anyway, I'm keeping my fingers crossed and will report back with my assessment of its quality and performance once it's fitted up and running...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Re: New 'Amal' Carb....

Hi Ian

I fitted twin concentrics - Premier - to my 71 Daytona
I was plagued with running issues particularly at idle/low speed and not at all what I had expected with new stuff fitted
Finally figured the std float height set by Amal was incorrect so after some tweaking - its adjustable on concentrics - I got the bike to run as sweet as a nut
To top it off, a new Pazon electronic ignition compliments it very well

A simple oversight by Amal, but confirmed this float height issue in a later tel con with the supplier, well known from attendance at Autojumbles

But yes agreed, a new carb or a well prepared reconditioned carb transforms the behaviour of a motor

Jo'B

email (option): jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Hi John, that's interesting re the concentric float height, would I be right to assume it was too low? Only thinking that on the basis that there isnt much space for it to be too high on a concentric before the float hits the body.
I've fitted a new concentric 626 to both my M20's and on one the tickover isn't as smooth as I'd like, and there is not as much effect on that from pilot screw adjustment as I'm used to finding with these instruments. Any thoughts on that would be appreciated please.
Another carb issue I've been aware of for a long time when comparing original Amal and modern reproductions regards monoblocs -
The originals had no sealing washer of any sort between the float needle housing (under the banjo) and the body. All the replacement carbs I've seen have a fibre washer there. Surely that is going to raise the float/fuel height?
Old carb lore says the correct fuel level on a monobloc is indicated by the 'pip' near the middle of the float chamber cover. But the only way to see the level of fuel with the lid on is to run a stand-pipe from the main jet cover nut...
Rupert.

Hi John, Interesting observations on the Concentrics....I had terrible problems with one of them on my Triumph T120R and have had trouble with one on a BSA single as well....I'll probably take another look in the light of what you say...

As a point of interest, I've used a number of the Wassells manufactured Concentrics without any problems...In fact I had a set for the Triumph but then thought 'Why aren't I fitting proper AMALS on such an expensive bike?' and got a pair from Burlens....That turned out to be a very mixed blessing!!.....Ian

Rupert
Hi John, that\\\'s interesting re the concentric float height, would I be right to assume it was too low? Only thinking that on the basis that there isnt much space for it to be too high on a concentric before the float hits the body.
I\\\'ve fitted a new concentric 626 to both my M20\\\'s and on one the tickover isn\\\'t as smooth as I\\\'d like, and there is not as much effect on that from pilot screw adjustment as I\\\'m used to finding with these instruments. Any thoughts on that would be appreciated please.
Another carb issue I\\\'ve been aware of for a long time when comparing original Amal and modern reproductions regards monoblocs -
The originals had no sealing washer of any sort between the float needle housing (under the banjo) and the body. All the replacement carbs I\\\'ve seen have a fibre washer there. Surely that is going to raise the float/fuel height?
Old carb lore says the correct fuel level on a monobloc is indicated by the \\\'pip\\\' near the middle of the float chamber cover. But the only way to see the level of fuel with the lid on is to run a stand-pipe from the main jet cover nut...
Rupert.
There are two versions of monobloc carbs - one with and one without the fiber washer. As I discovered after much tinkering, the needle seats are different and they don't seem to like being mixed up. I also suspect it is possible that the body is machined differently there too. as for float levels, there are a number of tools that can be used to check this. the one I like is this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amal-monoblock-float-needle-seat-setting-tool-shim-kit-adjust-gas-level-cover/383992869391?hash=item5967c2320f:g:lu4AAOSw97Jc7tvZ9
they leave little room for error.

email (option): cas.vanderwoude@gmail.com

I bought a new 289 from Burlen for my B33 a couple of years ago and it works fine.

Hi Cas, thanks for clarifying that re monoblocs with or without the fibre washer. I never saw one with the fibre washer before the post-Amal replacements appeared in the '90's?
Concur re not mixing Old and new parts in that area.
Rupert.

Hi Ian, I have fitted several Wassell concentrics to my own bikes but only on single carb bikes and I have had no problem with them but have found quite often the pilot jet is too small and they run better with a jet a size bigger. I have also sold a fair few of these carbs to customers of mine and for the most part again no problems but I have had a couple of complaints but it seems that in these cases the buyers do not actually know how to set up their carbs correctly and they think it is just plug and play. However the ones sold to suit the 3 cylinder BSA and Triumph's are useless. I have also bought and supplied several of the light weight Amal concentrics to a customer of mine who builds trials bikes and he is very happy with them but again it is quite often the case that the pilot jet needs changing.
Of course a lot of people will only buy Amal because they are British but I heard from a very good source that their carbs are made in China and not the UK but obviously assembled in the UK very slowly. Wassell carbs are made in Taiwan as I am sure you know. the bonus with Amal is that you can at least buy Monobloc and pre monobloc carbs which you can not buy from Wassell. Personally I would rather have a new carb of either type fitted than a worn out original or some other make of carb which may well be more practical but does not quite look the part. I have a TriumphT100C with some sort of Jap carb on it and it performs perfectly but just doesen't look right and I can not imagine what an M20 would look like with a Mikuni or a Dellorto fitted but everyone to their own I guess!
Regards, Mike.

email (option): mdew01@hotmail.co.uk

My mate has just bought a Commando that's been stood for a long time. Carbs all gummed up. So he bought a set of Wassel consentrics. No matter what we did we couldn't get them set up. Tick over was awful and very little response from the screws. Even off tick over the bike wasn't running right and only made it down the road before turning back. I told him to clean his original carbs, which he's done. Went on and set up in minutes. The Wassels can go back, complete load of rubbish.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Obviously different people have had different experiences with carbs from both Burlens (AMAL) and Wassells....I have myself as previously noted..
However, I fitted a Wassells concentric to my Triumph TRW and it set up easily and ran very well...I've also supplied Wassells carbs in the past without any real problems...Unfortunately, it seems both manufacturers have quality control issues that could do with being addressed and the result is erratic performance across any given number of carbs...
This makes for a difficult choice when you're contemplating the substantial cost of a new instrument...Ian

The Triumph looks very nice out on the moors there Ian!
Anyway it seems there are mixed results on the carbs but I think most problems found with the Wassell carbs at least those with removable pilot Jets is the fact these jets can be too small and also apparently there have been known issues with the size of the holes in the main jets being incorrect but then I have heard there also being the same issues with the "genuine" Amal carbs. Another problem with the Wassell carbs was one created by them selves by stating on the packaging that the pilot jet was adjustable which of course it is not although it does look like a screw that you might adjust and may be this was the problem with Mr Horror's twin carb problems!
I personally communicated with the MD at Wassell to get the packaging changed which they did fairly quickly but I can not help wondering how many people made the same mistake and had terrible results trying to use one of these carbs.
Personally I think they are very good value for money and if you actually have one in your hand I don't think they can be classed as rubbish but a little bit of prepping is a good idea before use by taking the Jets out and blowing it through with an airline etc just to make sure all is clean and clear.
I recently fitted a Wassell 30mm carb on my B44 Victor and put one size bigger pilot jet in and it runs like a clock so very happy with that one.
Mike.

email (option): mdew01@hotmail.co.uk

Hi Ian,

I fitted a new Burlen 289 to my M33 a couple of years back when they first introduced them again. Easy to set up and responsive to the mixture screw. Done a lot of miles on it now and it has never been a problem, it has a steady tick over and is very responsive to the throttle. Only thing i changed was the bell mouth the new one looked naff so i fitted a original one i had.

Hi All
Very interested in Mikes view of the concentric conversion on his TRW. Mine is generally a pig to get started despite using various different choke routines etc. When its going it is really nice to ride, idles very well, just except for what feels like a bit of a flat spot on mid throttle openings. Carb has been off, cleaned, re gasket with my last set of gaskets!!No change.
Is this a common fault, would a carb change help. Its a real shame as if I can't improve things I think it will have to go.
Any help would be great.
John

Hi John..It was my TRW with the concentric fitted...My bike was an early version of the TRW with the BTH mag fitted as standard....To get the concentric to clear the mag I had to machine an adapter that fitted between the barrel and the carb to provide the needed clearance...
If you have a later TRW with coil ignition fitted that will be something that needs to be looked at...I've since sold the bike and I think the new owner has removed the carb and adapter and fitted an original...Personally I didn't even try the original carb as I spent more than a day trying to get a friends TRW to run well on one without a lot of success...

So, I replaced the original carb shortly after I bought the bike...The Concentric and adapter MAY be available as I don't think the owner has any plans to use them...He doesn't ride the bike much and would rather have it looking original I think....Ian

Hi Ian
Thanks very much for the reply. I may get back to you on the adaptor. My bike is a later one with the coil ignition set up and I need to pull it out of the shed to see how much room there is around the carb.
Has anybody tried a Mono bloc on these bikes?
R
John

Nieuwe pagina 1