Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
M model fork damper adjuster

Three different types of damper adjusters.
1. Pre and early war bakelite knob.
2. C7287 dull chrome spanner type,
3. Later pressed steel knob.

Anyone have something to add? When and why changed etc. Did they switch back to the bakelite post war?

https://i.ibb.co/r5wxskn/IMG-4137.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/9hJw1vQ/IMG-4138.jpg

Re: M model fork damper adjuster

Hi kalle
Before the Bakelite damper knob - there was a large nut - only able to be adjusted by a tool
After many complaints - it was changed
Bikes well into 1940 production had this large nut before production changed to include a “tool less “ adjuster
Br
John

email (option): jonnyob1@googlemail.com

They didn't revert back to Bakelite after the war..The steel knob was retained until girders were deleted in 1947/8...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thank you. So the wd bikes were without hand knob from very beginning until 1941 somewhere. I didn't know that. I can't find the knob on period photos of early 1939 wd bikes. Bakelite knob most left on my photo is from the prewar civil bike.

It's not hard to find pictures of M20s with the Bakelite knob treated to a "chromed" finish. Anyone know what this finish actually is- just shiny paint?

I don't think the Bakelite knob would have been painted. Looking through my 1939 and 1940 civvy lists and my WD lists. They all quote the same 15-5254 steel knob. I'm unsure when the Bakelite knob was actually fitted?? Or did they just keep the same part number? Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I took a broken Bakelite damper from an October 1941 bike I have here

A batch delivered - 120 or so to Dublin had these fitted

I picked up a really nice replacement at home in Ireland a few years back

If this helps - anyone with a parts list from this “mid war “ period ?

Jo’b

email (option): jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Bob
It's not hard to find pictures of M20s with the Bakelite knob treated to a "chromed" finish. Anyone know what this finish actually is- just shiny paint?
I have a bakelite side damper knob from an M.20 which is just black and unpainted. If you think about it the steering damper knob was also bakelite plain black and unpainted so it seems reasonable to assume both were treated the same at least initially.

email (option): keithchandler@clistandchandler.co.uk

Well I just checked in a 1941 parts book which still quotes the same 15-5254 knob. I'm mystified! Perhaps someone can enlighten us? Ron

Bob
Steel and bakelite knobs have more or less same shape, so hard to tell from outside. Chromed knobs are obviously made of steel.

https://i.ibb.co/r5wxskn/IMG-4137.jpg

Kalle out of interest, is there a different part number for the Bakelite knob and when was it used please. Ron

Ron, there is no part number stamped on the knob. Here is what I found after digging into the parts lists. From 1933 until 1947 is part number 15-5254 for the knob. Exept shortly 66-5160 for spanner version. For last year 1948 part number is 66-5165. No material specified.
Hope someone can explain this.

Thanks Kalle. So my theory is that the Bakelite knob was probably used for short period for some reason, but they never issued a different part number for it. Unless the Irish bikes were differently equipped? It must have been around 1941 according to John's findings. I always thought it was a pre-war thing. Ron

My m20. is a 1949 model and I am certain the damper adjuster knob is Bakelite will check later today as It is 1215am and I just got home from work

email (option): Gawls62@icloud.com

I didn't know they still had girder forks in 1949? We're talking about the side damper knob. Ron

Unusually, the change to girder forks was made part way through the (1948) model year, specifically the June of that year...The 1949 model year commenced in August, when all models already had the tele forks fitted, so no girders for '49...

Of course a '48 girder fork model could have remained unsold and been first registered in 1949 but that seems unlikely when the serious post war shortages of machines and the resulting waiting lists were taken into account...
I knew someone who ordered a Matchless and was on a 2 year waiting list..When offered a new bike that had a dented tank and thus the chance to bypass the list he said he jumped at it, dent or no dent!!...Ian

My 1949 M33 sort of started life as an M20 and is fitted with girder forks. The previous owner stated that it came from Pride and Clarks so equipped. That I know means nothing regards Pride and Clarks. I have seen a few pictures of 1949 M33s fitted with girders.

I don't think you'll find any girder forks in a 1949 parts list...Ian

This is my 1948 BSA M21 YM frame number despatched 22nd June 1948 matching numbers, so I assume one of the last of the Girder/rigid M series BSA,s. 1949 M series should have a ZM frame number and as far as I know had tele forks, I had a 1950 ZM with tele,s never seen a ZM front frame with the long front down tube for girders though ? Dave

https://i.imgur.com/5L86Gsil.jpg

Nieuwe pagina 1