Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lucas motorcycle battery

Hi all!

Last weekend me and my brother found a motorcycle battery while. Metal detecting and figured you guys would know more about this one!
All information is welcome!
https://pasteboard.co/JSLWhaM.jpg

Re: Lucas motorcycle battery

Hi Lars,

That is a very nice find! An original Lucas battery as used on most British WW2 motorcycles. The one you found is dated 1944. The traces of paint are most likely from the colour of the motorcycle. Motorcycle were sometimes spraypainted in a (field)workshop and they didn't bother to remove the battery.

Where did you find this?

Regards,
Bastiaan

email (option): wdmotorcycles@gmail.com

Nice find Lars totally correct for a WD bike and dated for D Day! Here's the 1943 dated battery I found in France. Cleaned up with WD40 and an original top added. Ron

PS posted at the same time as Bastiaan. But I'm fairly sure they were painted in service colour by Lucas.

M20-397

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thanks for the fast answer, that is indeed very cool!
We found the battery near a german bunker in Germany that was later occupied by the British army near the end of the war.
Not that we want to sell it, but do you have any idea what it could be worth? As it is most likely not in working condition after more than 75 years underground haha

1944 dated and SCC No.2 Brown....as we'd expect really :-)

I bought mine about 9-10 years ago and the French seller was asking 50 Euros but I haggled him down. But I don't think he had much idea of it's worth. A lot of guys would probably pay a lot more to own an original.....Even though it will be dud! Ron

It looks like there are traces of green paint there also.

Indeed there are Gary, and most of the original batteries I've seen have remnants of paint. I spray my repos in service colour and I think it's a nice touch if they don't match the bikes as they where painted by Lucas. Ron

Nieuwe pagina 1