Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rider Instruction books

Oh no

email (option): jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Re: Rider Instruction books

Hi John

I bought a yellow coloured one some years ago which had a 1950s date inside, I think the blue ones are the earliest, 1942-3ish onwards.

I would have said anything with a wing on the BSA logo was post war but Henk showed me the cover of a WB30 book recently with a wing which would seem to prove otherwise?

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

The 'wing' was used late pre war/wartime on BSA printed material but not on the bikes themselves until 1947/8....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I have early BSA Instruction Books for the WD C.10, WD Twin and M.20 and these are have a darkish green cover. I also have a BSA Instruction Book dated January 1941 for M.20s supplied to The India Office and this has a light yellow cover. I have a Maintenance Routine Book for M.20s - Contract C9310 - Frame and Engine Nos. WM20 44213 - WM20 53212 this has a light blue cover as does the Instruction Book for the WB30 - Contract C8330 and the M.20 Instruction Books for Contracts C7287 and C5610.

email (option): keithchandler@clistandchandler.co.uk

Hi Ian
I often wondered when the bsa wing design was introduced- wartime it seems on some material
Jo’b

Hi Keith
Is there any chance you could take photos of these ?
I would like too see them if possible
Br
Jo’b

Here are some of mine

bo1
WB30 WC10 KM20 and 3 WM20s

bo2
Contract C11101 handbook and workshop manual

bo3
Standard handbook and workshop manual, after contract C12424, the manual has DU42 blackout fitted so is presumably before the end of the war?

bo4
Variations in BSA font, the 1939 spares list is the 1946 reprint, there was no attempt at updating the cover with the winged BSA logo so perhaps we are more concerned about it than they were?

Rob

My M20 is from contract C5110 (1940) is someone has a spare original hand book or even the generic version for sale....... Just for display.

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

John O'Brien
Hi Keith
Is there any chance you could take photos of these ?
I would like too see them if possible
Br
Jo’b
I can take photos of my collection of BSA Instruction Books and the like but will need to e.mail them to you as my computer skills are so basic I have never copied and pasted or the like and what they say about 'old dogs' is true in this instance.

I am on another forum which requires only a double click to attach a photo from my computer to a post which is ideal for my ability.

Literature collecting, Ron...otherwise known as the 'Slippery slope' :grimacing:

OLYMPUS-DIGITAL-CAMERA

You should have an 'Instructional Handbook, with Lubrication Chart' and a contract-specific Spare Parts List. It falls under the VAOS Section LV6.

List-C-2

how do i upload a picture

Rik I have all the maintenance information and parts lists that I need. I've taken to placing a riders handbook with each bike....Just for show. Ron

The site is being tampered with me thinks...

email (option): teladelujo@mdn.com

Yes I've never seen this before! Bastiaan has reported it to Bravenet. Ron

Hi Keith
if you can tale photos - now that I can post photos - I can put them on forum to view - that is if you dont mind
Br
jo'B

Yes it seems we have been hacked in some shape or form

attached are my earlier books - Rider Instruction and Parts lists which are a good source of information

over time I have gathered some duplicates - am always interested in swaps or trades

collecting period paperwork is also part of the "deal" for me in this pastime

IMG-2512

IMG-2513

Br
JO'B

I will try and sort out the lot and photograph accordingly and send them to you via e.mail. More than happy for you to post images on here.

Thanks Keith
I enjoy seeing all the other variations in publications
look forward to receiving them
Br
JO'B

A damned shame that the half-wit hacker altered the thread title and removed John's interesting question...and you're absolutely right John, the literature is as valid a part of the hobby as any other,especially in these strange times...

We do need to get Keith Chandler up to speed on posting photos here :relaxed: Keith very kindly sent me copies of the 'Tools and Equipment to Scale' lists of a Norton contract...Steve too has been very good at posting and responding...but there must be lots more out there.

As per John, I probably have WD16H duplicates that I might consider parting with, but in my case, it would really need to be in exchange for other pre- or early-war Norton literature.

There is a lot of (sometimes not obvious) information in these publications..please post details of what you have.

IMG-1246

These are some of my riders/drivers/instruction books for BSA models,below is one of the first ones for KM20 contract no A9764.

Below is a page from above book showing lubrication points.

Below on the right is book for KM20 contract no C3655.

Below is a page from KM20 book contract C3655,showing lubrication points but with an updated nomenclature chart glued on top of the lubrication
picture.

Below some others from my collection.

Below two others,the right hand grubby one has been amended from contract C11101 to contract C12424 as seen on its cover and lube chart.

Below four others,the bottom two both have the late war lighting switches shown as well as the earlier ones,so may date from late 44 to 1945.

Also got these WB30 books,both have different lube chart diagrams showing the differing lighting.

below lube chart from right hand book above,also shown is ink stamp on its rear cover.

below is the lube chart from first photo left hand book,contract 294/C/S/13872.

below original parts book for WB30,several contracts with very small numbers supplied.

Below also have these two 250cc books SV WC10 & OHV WC11 INDIA OFFICE.

BSA parts books,the 1940 edition with the blue cover is a civilian issue but has ink contract stamps on the cover and also inside.

Lovely collection Steve, is there any chance you could scan the entire WB30 spares list please.

Rob

What a great collection there & thanks for sharing

I started too late on this side of things - but once things open up again - I’ll be in the hunt for documents again
Jo’b

Henk and I determined once that the wing on the B must have been introduced somewhere in 1941 based on old BSA letter head. The B30 manual seems to confirm this.

email (option): leonhop3_at_planet_dot_nl

It was always a bit of a mystery wasnt it Leon
But for sure it seems fairly early in the war
JO'B

Hi Rob, yes I will copy the WB30 parts list, and send it to you, will contact you next week,it's not illustrated though.

Thank you Steve, illustrations are nice but part numbers are good too.

Cheers Rob

OLYMPUS-DIGITAL-CAMERA

OLYMPUS-DIGITAL-CAMERA

email (option): wdmotorcycles@gmail.com

These latest book images came from Chris Orchard
Jo’b

Steve S,
May I please ask you for a copy as well?

email (option): csbajku@gmail.com

Jon
I was hoping for a comment on whether you or anyone else had come across different coloured handbooks of the same edition
Chris

email (option): orchard_c@sky.com

There is a M20 handbook up on eBay for auction, 100 BC2A.

email (option): orchard_c@sky.com

Hi Chris
I have both books like you too - I think they are post war myself - reprints
They cover the last contract too with the odd test position switch & switch holder
In one there was an inspection document- I will photo this & get it uploaded
Br
Jo’b

I have e.mailed some photos of some of the BSA WD handbooks and the like that I have to John O'Brien who has very kindly offered to post on this thread for me. Many thanks J O'B.

Whilst rummaging through my collection of WD Motorcycle literature I came across handbooks and the like for Norton, Royal Enfield, Triumph, Matchless, Harley Davidson etc and was wondering if similar threads for these makes might also appear on here under their own titles of course.

In the parts book below,there are some extra pages in the back of the book,two are glued in plus three loose of which one is Norton.

Keith Chandler asked me to post these. Ron
DSCN2533
DSCN2534

Hi Ron

I had tried to put these on for Keith but it was not possible to do so
seems the issue with the uploads is now resolved, i was going to send photos to the forum help line for them to be posted

Bastiaan / Nick
can we upload photos again ?

Br
Jo'B

Wow so many variations .... Ill have to keep an eye out for Contract number S1048 book for my 43 WM20

Thanks for posting all the pics ... Gives me a better idea of what to look for.

email (option): wadeschields@mindspring.com

SIX TASKS
Six Tasks

The maker marked tasks books are pretty scares, I have a full digital copy of another example, contract C9310 is the only version I have seen, there may be some for other contracts, but it could also be a short period in history prior to the universal pamphlet with full tasks printed.

Here is a Morris version.

Rob

How about some Enfield stuff?

Jan has more, but I also have most of the Matchless stuff, and lot's of Big 4, Welbike, all of it, and some Velocette, and other weird stuff.
And also a lot of US wartime bike manuals and parts lists.

Lex

email (option): welbike@welb**e.net

I never knew you to be such a big Royal Enfield enthusiast Lex
Fine collection

Jo’b

Not an instruction book as such, but perhaps of interest to this thread.
Under ‘Slimy Descents’ it mentions to raise the exhaust valve lifter when descending. I’ve never heard of this before. What’s the purpose? Surely it will just kill the engine?
John
34-BCB966-D966-47-CB-BDD7-531-CB84769-FC
106-F584-F-3089-41-C5-8-F56-1-B1-B640-B9752
F118-B3-D2-4-BDC-4-B24-84-E8-6016212-DF921
8-EAE9186-7783-46-EE-89-C1-9-F97-EA7-A8-DF4

email (option): John.childs1@btopenworld.com

John I think this has been covered in the training film and although not clear in that book, I'm sure it means, without the engine running. By selecting first gear and selective use of the valve lifter and front brake, you should be able to make it safely to the bottom. Ron

That makes sense now Ron. Thanks.
J

email (option): John.childs1@btopenworld.com

I only have one WD Riders Handbook..
Rather dear to me as it's the one once owned by my uncle, he has listed a few others in his unit on page 1.

Norton-Riders-Handbook-pag1-kopie
NRHpag3-kopie

email (option): info@wetblast.nl

Nieuwe pagina 1