Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
DR Coats and leggings

Its a wet day here in Devon so I can't do my regular exercise, so I spent an hour or so this morning looking at some wartime waterproofs, actually I think I burned off more calories fighting with these than my usual 5 mile walk.

I have an early short coat and long leggings which combined doesn't leave many gaps, but the later long coat when buttoned up does leave from your knees down to the tops of your boots exposed, but I also have a pair of separate leg leggings which do seem to cover the gap, the problem is that these are "CC41" 1941-1951 government standard civilian purchase, not WD marked. My father who was a Telegraph boy on Bantams after the war remembers using something similar, so has anyone encountered a WD wartime marked pair of these?

short-coat-long-legs
Short coat, long leggings

legs-l-3

legs-l-2
Long Leggings

s-markings
Short coat markings

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Re: DR Coats and leggings

l-2

l-1
Long coat buttoned up around legs

l-markings-1

l-markings-2
Long coat markings, this one seems to have been issued to the National Fire Service judging by the ink stamp on the paper label.

legs-s-1

legs-s-2
Separate leg Leggings

l-3
Inside the long DR coat is this strap on one side only with two buttons which match the button holes in the separate legging straps.

l-4
Coat and legging buttoned together.

l-5
Opposite side of the coat, no indication there was ever a matching strap?

l-6

l-7
Long coat with separate leg leggings fitted?

All comments welcome

Rob

Rob,

I have two of the long coats both with the single strap you mention.
On the opposite flap of the coat just below the position for storing the triangular neck flap is a button hole.
The strap will button to this, long or short depending on how big your gut is -or indeed how much extra clothing you have on.
It then keeps the middle part from flapping in the breeze.

I never had WD leggings so didn't consider that use of the strap.

The coat is a clever piece of kit and I travelled many everyday miles, snug and dry in mine much to the amusement of my pals who preferred to look "cool' -and wet!

David

email (option): dhmoff54@gmail.com

The long coat came along with the three strap boots and riding breeches, and replaced the short coat and leggings/trousers.

It is impossible to wear a pair of three strap boots and a pair of waterproof leggings. (I have tried it)

I must say i have seen some serious rain with just the long coat and boots and it kept my dry.

email (option): bsawm20@hotmail.com

David you are quite right there is a button hole lined up with the twin button strap which of course I can just do up, and that was obviously (now you mention it) its original purpose.

Nick the three buckle boots are much earlier than you may think, a friend of mine had a WW1 dated pair a few years ago, the toe was more like the earlier ammo boots without the external cap, they were used by the Royal Engineers but not necessarily for motor cyclists just muddy work.

My size 11 3 buckle boots fit in both of my sets of leggings, but I haven't tried it wearing them.

Rob

boots1

boots2

This chap seems to be wearing separate leg leggings, I wonder when this picture was taken?

Rob

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174804081308?hash=item28b3229a9c:g:mIsAAOSwzK5gexyi

Nieuwe pagina 1