Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Speedo exploded view

Hi, can anyone help with showing the way the speedo cable attaches to the rear of the speedo please? I’m sure I’m pieces missing, someone (previous owner?) used a length of alloy pipe to attach the cable!!!, needless to say it doesn’t work!! Many thanks

email (option): neil.blount@hotmail.co.uk

Re: Speedo exploded view

Has it got a thread sticking out from underneath the speedo. If so, it's just a knurled finger nut built onto the cable. If it's a Jaeger type spigot sticking out? Then I'm sure we can provide pictures/details. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi, thanks for the reply, think it must be the latter as there isn’t any protruding thread to screw a cable on to it, any help would be appreciated.

email (option): neil.blount@hotmail.co.uk

Can you email me a picture of the back of your speedo. Ron

Hi Ron, I’ll try to get a photo but the bike is stored 80 miles away in North Yorkshire and I’m unable to get access due to COVID, soon as I can I’ll get the pics, just thought I could solve the puzzle and get the parts sorted that I will need ( itchy fingers!) thank you for your efforts.

Neil, is it this Jaeger fitting that you have ?

S114-12-39-Jan

Yes that’s the one!, the spigot on mine is loose and just falls off if pulled ( with no force)

Hopefully it's just the remaining end of the cable that's falling off and not the spigot itself. JJ cables makes them, but you will need to discuss it with them how to measure it their way. cableman7@hotmail.co.uk Ron

PS what bike is it on?

DSCF1720-3
WDD-183-2

Thanks Ron, I’ll post the outcome of this thread as soon as it’s sorted, hopefully not too long! It’s on a 1941 BSA WD M20, I’d post a picture but can’t fathom how to ! Thanks again for all your help and advice

OK if your using a Jaeger type speedo on a 1941 M20, you will need to inform Dave at JJ cables (tel 01926 651470) That it's the type with a square on the driven end of the inner cable as opposed to a spade end. Ron

Thanks again Ron for the valuable information, you’ve saved me no end of problems there, would this not have been the correct speedo for this year of manufacture? , I’m guessing they all would have been altered at some point depending on what parts were close to hand regards Neil

Yes I would think by 1940 the Jaeger pattern went out with the introduction of the left side mounted hub speedo drive. It should have no trip or illumination. You might well be able to do a deal/swap with someone on here. Ron

Hi Ron, my speedo is mounted on the left and I’ve found a pic of the speedo face, how do I upload it ? I’m using an ipad

I use this site for hosting pictures.https://imgbb.com/

Or email them to me if you want and I'll post them (Front and back of speedo head)

Ron

BSA seem to have received the first delivery of the new type Chronometrics with the screw fitting cable. The associated thin cables are visible as Ron says, as soon as the 'pancake' drive replaced the brakeplate type. The earliest bike that I have on file with this is C3928669 which was very early in contract C5110 which was delivered from September 1939. C3915154 from C3655 delivered June - September 1939 had the older type.

Norton didn't change until half way through C7353 which would be early 1941 so there is far more scope for fitting them to early Nortons.

Ron, I’ve sorted these two pics out , I’m unable to show the rear of the speedo for reasons I’ve explained, other photo is just to show C number

I’ve sent them to your email address sorry

Neil's Speedo. Ron
Neil-2-2
Neil-2

Thanks Ron, do these photos help with my possible solution? , I’ve replaced the Indian ammeter since that photo was taken ! Maybe the bike is a bitsa?

I'm not sure that I can really see what's going on there..The boss looks too large and long for a Jaeger type. Is it a screw type with a stripped thread and someone has tried to make up an adapter to hold the cable (which seems to be too short) ?

I think it's going to take a closer higher resolution photo to understand.

The face with yellow line is as per the pre-war type, but I have an idea that it may have continued a little longer. They can be mixed and matched of course.

I've zoomed in as much as I can and can't see any resemblance of a thread on the boss. It has the earlier pointed bezel and as you say Rik, the yellow 30mph line. Neil can you take it, or the cable off when you can for a better picture of the back. My moneys on Jaeger type. Ron

Yes Ron, as soon as I can I’ll forward you the pics, might be a few weeks wait though sorry.

No hurry on my account Neil.....It's you who wont know when you're exceeding the 70mph speed limit :thinking_face: Ron

That would be a white knuckle ride indeed! 😳

Hi Ron, an update for you, I sent the speedo to Philip Woods for a new glass and a recondition, he confirmed to me that it requires a pin drive cable, , someone had fashioned an adapter for a square drive cable. He put me on to JJ Cables who I will contact shortly, hopefully I’ll get to the bike shortly and fit the parts , I’ll post my findings. Best regards Neil

Hi neil. Yes I posted contact details for Dave at JJ Cables in and earlier post. To save you phoning him about the length, this is how he will advice you:-

Mount the speedo and with a tailors tape, measure from the ends of the threads on both speedo and gearbox ie the outer cable length. Tell him that's how you measured it and he'll know the rest. Ron

Nieuwe pagina 1