Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Talflows air filter

The Talflows tank top air filter was made by the Talboys Manufacturing co. I've just acquired one from a batch that turned up in Pakistan. I've decided to fit it to my M20 just to have something different. The original Vokes on my M20 will be moved to another bike. 

Here is a photographic record of how they were found....A bit bent, twisted and rusted. I've managed to get the four top screws and the three brass adjustable feet undone. I've stripped the base part, knocked some dents out and heat shrunk the base to get it near flat again.  Ron
Talflows-6
Talflows-5
Talflows-9
Talflows-10
Talflows-3

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Re: Talflows air filter

Strangely, the screw on carb adapter is far to big for a 276 carb? I measured the thread with a vernier and it's 1/8" too big. So what on Earth carb was it designed for?  I've got another adapter coming which should fit the bill.   Ron

Hi Ron,

I’m pretty sure the elbow was used on norton B4. Not sure what type of carb is on a b4

If you look at the photo of the B4 you can clearly see this type of elbow. https://www.wdnorton.nl/Air_Cleaners.htm

Do you adjust the jet settings on your M20 when you fit a vokes or talflow?

Nick

email (option): bsawm20@hotmail.com

Hi Nick. It's a standard 1" 276 on a Big4, actually a smaller bore than an M21 carb, and not a great deal of room for that big elbow from the look of it. I really can't think what carb back then would have had a 1.375" intake thread?? Ron

Big-4-242

Hi Ron,

Nice to see that you are restoring the Talflow!

I don't think the elbow was directly attached with an adapter to the carb. See the photo's below. You can clearly see that there is another piece between the elbow and the carb.

I have already asked the seller of the filters in Pakistan if he has that extra piece, but unfortunately he has not.

Please send photo's of the result when the Talflow is fully fitted.

Regards,
Bastiaan

p.s. If someone is interested in a Talflow. I still have one available.

Talflow008

Talflow0081

email (option): wdmotorcycles@gmail.com

Ah I see it all now Bastiaan! That would be a very awkward piece to make or find. I'll stick with my plan of using a different adapter straight on the carb like a Vokes. I'll post pictures as I go. It might be of interest to those who've never seen one.

To answer Nick's question about the carb settings. I ran my M20 for about 25 years, both with 500cc and 600cc with standard jetting. This is because I ran it with a minimum amount of filtration within the unit. Actually more as a dummy, with the intention of fitting the rest of the filter tubes if I ever got sent to the Western Desert. :sunglasses: Ron

I've stripped the lid and panel beat a few dents out. That old red oxide certainly did a good job at preserving these for 78 years. As Rob Miller quoted from the MoS ledgers. 13,472 air cleaners by Talboys were sent to India in 1943. Obviously they didn't all get used. Ron

DSCF3483

I am not sure the red paint is only used as oxide primer, it's also possible that it's a camouflage paint job. The local landscape (and soil) in large parts of Pakistan looks very red.

I have some original Vokes air cleaners from the same batch. These are also red and even the original elbowpieces and hose are red.

How did you remove the paint from the Talboy factory badge?

Regards,
Bastiaan

email (option): Wdmotorcycles@gmail.com

I used proper paint stripper Bastiaan, (Not Nitromors which now has to be safe for a toddler to drink :angry:) The black must be good quality enamel. Ron
DSCF3485-2

I've finished the Talflow. I cut some new felt for the filter by using the old manky one as a pattern. I forgot to take a picture before I buttoned it up. I've just got the holding straps to make from a cardboard template and get my new ally carb adapter back from my mate who has to machine a smidgen off the OD. I've sprayed it with Dark Cammo Green. Ron
DSCF3489
DSCF3494

The Talflow filter is longer than a Vokes, and another thing I've noticed is the hinge on the India office M20's was reversed. Ron
000-India-Office-BSA-4

It's got the single BSA tank transfer as well....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Ok, the Norton Big 4 had the standardised elbow connector, and was used on most British bikes, except Matchless, where there just wasn't any room for this type, I have most of the parts and drawings for this type, email me. here a picture of the standard elbow fitting, still available repro from me, but with the newest huge influx of the filters, not too many left!

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welb**e.net

PS, the larger carb adaptor, was for postwar BSA bikes, that had the 3something carbs, so postwar.

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welb**e.net

Lex the elbow I'm using is the original steel one that came with it, as seen on the Indian M20. The problem is that there is a short tube from the carb to the elbow and the thread on the screw on adapter is too big to go directly on the carb, so I've bought one of these ally adapters which has had to have a few thou turned off it. Ron

AM-6-110-1200-2

Talflows-10-2

A trial fit and the petrol cap works ok in this position. Next faze is to respray the tank and finally paint on it's correct census number after 32 years. Ron
DSCF3500

It really looks good on your M20!

Bastiaan

email (option): wdmotorcycles@gmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1