Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
M20 Petrol Tank

Hi,

This 1941 WM20 is coming into our workshop shortly for restoration and I was wondering what the "metal guards" on the front of the petrol tank where for. As we don't have the bike yet (only this photograph), I can't tell how they are attached.

Any assistance would be appreciated.
Trevor Fleming

email (option): sales@cobraclassics.com

Re: M20 Petrol Tank

hi Trevor,

That looks like a fairly complete bike. The metal guards are knee grips. they are rubber with a metal plate behind it. I'm sure others will chime in on this but that WM20 looks like it could be an earlier model - 1939-40. Frame and engine numbers will allow the boffins here to date your machine to the day it left the factory.

Most mechanical part are available - either OEM or pattern so you should not have any problems there. That rear fender is not original so just pack that up and send it to me. :smiley: (Actually, the fender is a rare early version as is the tank and headlight.

email (option): cas.vanderwoude@gmail.com

Thanks Cas. The bike is a late 1940 early 1941. I just thought the tank looked a bit unique.
Trevor

email (option): sales@cobraclassics.com

Could be something like these Trevor. Ron
BSA-KM20-PME-198
Horn-new-001

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

When the horn is mounted under the saddle spring is it orientated so the wires connect to the rear of the horn at the bottom or the top?...Or is it positioned towards the top but so the connection misses the bracket?.. Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

10 o'clock according to this picture Ian. Ron

C4347367-3

i see a couple of brackets (guards)? at the front of the tank, the one on the right looks like it has fallen down the left one looks like its attached ahead of the the handlebar, possibly windscreen brackets?
Is that what you meant Trevor?

email (option): taybrig@shaw.ca

Ah I see what you mean Kevin. They're actually a pair of post war pressed steel brake and clutch levers, hanging off the strange hi rise handlebar. Ron
wm20-2

Ron Pier
Ah I see what you mean Kevin. They're actually a pair of post war pressed steel brake and clutch levers, hanging off the strange hi rise handlebar. Ron
Just noticed that the lower girder fork links may have been put in the wrong way round as the exhaust side should have the side damper assembly which is not the case here!!

email (option): keithchandler@clistandchandler.co.uk

I've studied the photo's and just can't see the metal guards.

I'm assuming that Trevor will be familiar with the M20, being a profssionl restorer and I'm assuming having restored this WM20 with similar tank mounted knee grips:

http://cobraclassics.com/1942%20BSA%20WM20/index.html

All the best, Glenn

email (option): glenn_mullan@postmaster.co.uk

yes thats it Ron, a set of spare levers

email (option): taybrig@shaw.ca

I can see what the shield on the tank they are seeing a shadow on the tank making it look like something is on the front of the tank

email (option): malmotorcycles@gmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1