Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fitting fuel taps / petcocks.

Hi All
Are there any tips for getting a good seal when screwing in the fuel taps on a tank to get a good seal?
Sealant, ptfe, paste etc..?

Thanks
Rich.

email (option): richardpurkiss@hotmail.com

Re: Fitting fuel taps / petcocks.

Teflon tape. Works every time for me, just trim off the excess with a sharp knife after the parts are fitted. Also available as a paste, and it works OK too. Easy Peasy to clean off the used teflon when disassembled, just pick the threads off with your finger tips or tweezers. Then there is gasket sealer lacquer, but it leaves a tacky residue when you disassemble the parts later on. The residue comes off with acetone. Both are impervious to petrol, oil and water.

Keep 'em on the road....

Dave W.

I was fortunate to purchase a small stock of these copper/neoprene petcock washers from Armours when they gave up selling this stuff. They make a perfect seal as the copper squeezes up on the rubber and they give you the chance to put the tap exactly where you want it.
https://www.kjixdo.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=647073

Otherwise the next best thing is "Dowty Washers" which are ally with a rubber insert. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I just use plumber's tape which I suppose is Teflon. Works fine.
Ron, those washers look good but at 10 quid plus postage they'd need to be. Do you reckon they're worth it? I see your point about being able to line up the taps.

Thanks for the help Ron.
Unfortunately Amazon UK won't dispatch them to Oz for some reason & all I can find locally is still pricey. I may have to reflect that what's on the bike at the moment works...

I use PTFE tape and Loctite flange sealant under the washer. I leave it overnight before putting petrol in the tank to allow the flange sealant to do its thing......Works well..I use the same method on the crank case breather thread, the engine oil unions into the crank case and flange sealant only on the oil tell tale blanking plug into the crank case....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I think Dowty washers are available Worldwide. Ron
https://www.sealingaustralia.com.au/bonded-washers/

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thanks for the extra info Ron. You know more about my local suppliers than I do. The website lists a distributor near me.

Nieuwe pagina 1