Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
EBay M21

Can someone tell me it a WM21 engine is ex military. It’s engine number is WM21377B
Cheers John.

email (option): austonchamp@gmail.com

Re: EBay M21

It looks like you just missed out there. According to O&M the WM21 list includes WM21 371 373 374 376 378 379. I don't know what the B indicates. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I think it helps if you can share a photo of the engine number. I have 3x original WM21 engines all delivered to the Dutch Army. Engine WM21 377 was delivered to the Dutch Army on 22-11-1939.

Regards,
Bastiaan

email (option): wdmotorcycles@gmail.com

This is engine number. Cheers.

Cheers Ron. Out of interest what is the O&M list?

British Forces Motorcycles By Steve Madden and Chris Orchard.(O&M) We're on the third edition now. Available on ebay I guess. It seems they didn't note the Dutch records. So you have a nice find. Ron

The number looks genuine to me. I have bought a WM21 engine a week ago with a single 'B' stamped roughly on the same place. The 'B' was also stamped on the timing side of the crankcase. Do you have a photo of the timing side of this engine?

Regards,
Bastiaan

I'm sure Rik has explained the B? Is it Base Workshop or something? Ron

'B' for 'Base workshop' is a little strange for an engine which was delivered to the Dutch Army. I have found my engine wit an 'B' in Poland. I have found many Dutch Army M21 parts in Eastern Europe, that is the place where most Dutch Army M21's went after the Germans confiscated them.

Regards,
Bastiaan

This B or BB or even BBB markings have intrigued me for a very long time... Unfortunately we haven't found out yet what they mean...

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

As mentioned during that other thread. The B on Matchless cases, indicated Bowden controls as opposed to Amal. Which can't be the case with BSA or Royal Enfield......Still no wiser....Yet! Ron

Interesting Jan, thank you for the link to the earlier posts. I think we can safely conclude that this stamping is not of WD origin/purpose but is more something which had a purpose from/for the factories.

Bastiaan

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1946-BSA-M21-600cc-army-style-project-with-V5C-doc-NO-RESERVE-NO-BUY-IT-NOW/124519557798

Thanks for sharing!

This BSA is a very strange mix of parts. The engine is not genuine Dutch Army spec, the timing side of the engine casing is missing the hole for the fitment of the oil tell tale. There are 2 options in my opinion: 1. the engine casings are a non-matching set or 2. The engine number is later re-stamped.

Bastiaan

Nieuwe pagina 1