Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sidecars

Hello M-20 Riders !
Two questions I would have. Did the M20S use Sidecars, or were they installed on the M21 ?
Was "Swallow" the primary manufacturer ?
Thanks for your help 👍
Rich B

email (option): richbriskie@gmail.com

Re: Sidecars

The Swallow Model 8 was fitted to certain M20's and Norton 16H's mainly for the RAF. Norton used their own chassis and BSA used the Swallow chassis. The M20 frames were supplied with sidecar lugs for these contracts only. The wheels where also changed to 18" with 400x 18 tyres. I have quite a few more pictures of Sidecar Norton's. Ron
BSA-IWM
46869642071-3beb3f08e0-z
RAF-sidecar-2

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thanks for the info Ron, and neat photos.
Interesting.
Would you know were the sidecar mounts that were supplied welded on the frame from factory ?
Just curious. I had a 1969 BMW ( civilian ) It was the last year of the factory welded on frame mounts.
Thanks again for your time.
Rich

Yes Rich the M20 sidecar lugs were made as part of the frame. That is, a lug at the top of the front down tube, one under the saddle and one on the left side by the rear wheel. I don't know if the post war frames all came with sidecar lugs? Probably! But the difference was that there was a lug each side at the rear to accommodate sidecar fitment for overseas users.

A sidecar lugged WM20 frame is a very rare thing and I think must be ex RAF. Here is the one I had for a while. The body on this one is a VP Viper. A very lightweight aluminum replica of the Swallow 8, (which was steel over ash). The Vipers were made post war by the "Variable Pitch Propeller Co". Ron
BSA-sidecar-002
BSA-sidecar-006

Here is another VP Viper that I owned that was attached to my 16H. This one was bought by a forum member as I just wanted the bike as a solo.

16H-164
16H-044
And yet another one I had fitted to my WD/CO. These Vipers are quite hard to find nowadays, but I've taken the medication and got them out of my system now!
Scan-20200827

Great looking rigs Ron !
Appreciate the SC info. I had a 1981 Harley FLT I put a California Sidecar on it.
Had it set up pretty nice, handling etc. But, it's gone to acquire other bikes too.
Ride Safe !
Rich

Hi, Ron's sidecar in the photos is a good medium but if you want to learn more you can view mine, I give you two youtube links, my sidecar in the video corresponds exactly to the one in the photos and is an original swallow entirely in iron and wood!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHzlHcM-Uo8&t=27s https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPVY1sI9mKA

email (option): marcoleo1967@gmail.com

Hello Marco !
Thank you for the information about Swallow SC's
I will have to check out your u tube postings.
Rich B

Hello Marco !
Thank you for the information about Swallow SC's
I will have to check out your u tube postings.
Rich B

Nieuwe pagina 1