Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Irish stationed wm20s

Yes Jan I reported it to Henk earlier. I did click it and hope I'm safe :angry: .Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Yes mine ended up at cvp long kesh 21-10-66
Is it ever possible to find out what they did or where they were before this date
Regards nigel

email (option): Bodiweld@hotmail.co.uk

By 1966, most of these machines had become Cold War reserve stock and it would simply have been in store at the Command Vehicle Park at Long Kesh.

Unfortunately, the system used on the record cards seems to have been one of pencil and eraser so only the last entry is generally visible. It's clear that the bike was already within the Northern Ireland Command by 1951 when it went through the Command Workshops at Kinnegar. Apart from that, it's all guesswork...Whether it spent the war in Northern Ireland, travelled there with a unit being posted or was simply transferred from a UK depot is impossible to say.

It does sound though as if Kinnegar had a large stock of deLuxe mudguards !

The key card for this one reads

19YD02 30871 4347463 CVD LONG KESH 21 10 66

Its interesting that it still had its factory serial "C" number and never received a rebuild serial, apart from that there isn't much more to learn from this?

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

It seems that with a number of bikes based in N Ireland I have seen or discussed - many survived with early parts

They probably had an easier operational life there so survived the trips to the workshops there retaining much of their original equipment

Job

email (option): jonnyob1@googlemail.com

I'm not sure actually that all workshops in all areas used the parts bin 'Rebuild / New Serial' system....It seems quite likely, considering how many have survived with matching numbers that in some locations, machines were reconditioned / repaired and then returned to units.

Hi, I live in N.Ireland and have seen multiple bikes around 1940 to 41 that have the rear valenced mudguard. I've seen it too many times to think it is just a coincidence. All the best Glenn

email (option): Glenn.mullan@postmaster.co.uk

Thank you all for your help and information
It's much appreciated
Regards nigel

email (option): Bodiweld@hotmail.co.uk

Nieuwe pagina 1