WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Talflow filter.

Hello Robb,

That is funny,
I have been a Materials & Process engineer for 38+ years at Fokker Aircraft/Fokker Aerostructures until December last year.
Apart having been part in the development of the Fokker F50 and F70/F100, I have a fair amount of work on the upper shells of the A380 (Glare) and wing leading edges of the A340 and A380 (Thermoplastics) by qualifying and certifying the Glare prepreg materials and welding of thermoplastic parts. Added to that lots of work for NH-90 helicopter, Cessna, Gulfstream, Boeing, Dassault aircraft as part of the design built function that we had on those projects. Ariane interstage and some JSF work as well. Before 1996 basically composites work, after 1996, previous work expanded with primary responsible for all types of standard parts and semi-manufactured articles, qualifications and certifications. It has been a very demanding but also satisfying work, meeting many nice aerospace and materials and standard parts manufacturing people from all over the world.

From this background comes my way of making the www.wdnorton.nl website including change notices and issue control.

I am a bit pissed off myself that I took somebodies word for the bombing of Talboys. Should have investigated it better then.
It appears that they were not bombed and were actually the manufaturers for petrol tanks and possibly oil tanks for Nortons, at least in the 20ties and I expect upto 1978 when sheet metal work of Talboys was taken over by the Speedwell Gear Company.
I also found more technical details of the Talflow itself but have still no clue why the surfacing amount appears to be relatively low compared to Vokes tanktop versions.

Cheers,

Rob

email (option): wd

Gents

I have completely rewritten the website page on the Air Cleaners after the 1943 Talflow advert was shown by Steve S on Dec 5th.
Initial statement that the Talboys Manufacturing Company Ltd was bombed out of existence appeared incorrect.
Bombs fell a few 100 yards further NW on the Witton tram remise according the bomb census listing.
I did not corroborate the information when I had to.
This is now solved but as usual more questions have arisen but the present status gives me more confidence.

I also added the history of the development by Norton Motors of the Universal Air Cleaners, often described as "Vokes" filters.

Have a look;

https://www.wdnorton.nl/Air_Cleaners.htm

Added a remark on Henk stopping with hosting as well

https://www.wdnorton.nl/index.htm

Cheers,

Rob

email (option): wd16h@telfort.nl

I have been watching this with some interest,
My late father in law rode an m20 in Burma during 44 and 45.
I have a photo of him sat on the bike with the tank number showing its a 1944 bike and it is fitted with a Talflow filter.

Took me a good while to find one, but i did manage to find a really good original which will adorn my project if it ever gets finished. 😁
I had assumed that there was stocks that just needed using up but it perhaps makes more sense now.

Darren

I also have a Talflows Darren, but nothing really that I know I can fit it on. Any chance of seeing your Dad's bike please. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Gents,

Talfows in Birma are very likely, maybe more likely than Universal cleaners/Vokes.
Contract information states India as ordering entity and that included basically the entire far east.

It may also indicate why the Talfows were not very well known in Europe.

Cheers,

Rob

email (option): wd16h@telfort.nl

Naamloos-2

This photo was on ebay, not so long ago. I believe the Talflow is fitted to a Triumph 3HW.

Bastiaan

I have some very nice original Talflows for sale, if someone is looking for one.

email (option): wdmotorcycles@gmail.com

Ah Thanks Bastiaan. That's an option for my dessert colour 3HW which already has a Vokes on it.....Something different. :relaxed: Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

You are welcome Ron. I must say that the photo looks very 'oriental' to me, not some type of desert location.:wink:

Bastiaan

email (option): wdmotorcycles@gmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1