Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
In the parking lot

Was preparing to get the M20 started when one of those amiable souls one sometimes encounters walked past. 'Oh," he said, "a real one." I liked that.

Re: In the parking lot

That's very gratifying, Bob. Increasingly I find that people have no idea what I'm riding, and no curiosity either.

But every so often someone comes along who knows what he's looking at....

With a smile,

Allan

email (option): allanmatchless@yahoo.com

Just after the last rebuild of my M20 to 'as new' condition I was parked up in my local town and someone asked me if it was a replica...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

The thing that really annoys me is people who ask if my G3l is a Royal Enfield !

The thing that really annoys me is when a bystander asks me "Did you buy it new?", particularly if it's a pre-war bike.

Many years ago, tinkering in the front drive with my M20, a young nipper of about 10 years walks past.
“Nice bike mister. Is it a real army one?”
“Yes”
“Wow! Was it in the war mister?”
“Yes”
“Wow! Were you in the war mister?”
“ ***** “

email (option): John.childs1@btopenworld.com

I used to ride to my work sometimes on the WD16H.
I was fairly disturbed when somebody asked, "is it a Harley Davidson" !!!!!!!

grrrr,

cheers, and stay safe,

Rob

email (option): wd16h@telfort.nl

Some years ago I was riding my much modified WD 16H which I also used for pre-65 trials on a local B road when a Police car came alongside and pulled up in front of me somewhat sharpishly causing me to mount the grass verge to stop. The Officer approached and remarked what a fine machine it was and would I be interested in selling it. I declined the offer and we had a chat about British motorcycles for 5 minutes or so at the end of which he said 'Do me a favour and get some tax on it.' I took the warning and taxed it the following day.

email (option): keithchandler@clistandchandler.co.uk

There is a famous song in the Netherlands called 'Oerend hard,' translated 'Insane fast' with a line in it about 2 guys, 'Bertus on his Norton and Tinus on the BSA.' This song is from 1977 and is about 2 motorcross guys and in no way related to WW2.
I've stopped counting the number of times people yelling 'Hey Bertus on your Norton!' at me, laughing stupidly.....:upside_down_face:

https://youtu.be/UbTlJY5lTAs

Cheers,

Sven

Similar experience. Whilst riding my M20 to work one fine morning, dead speedo, happily bimbling along in a 30mph zone, I was interrupted by an officer waving me down at a speed trap.
“45” says he, looking the bike over.
“Crikey” says I, genuinely surprised, “No idea it would go that fast”
“Obviously it does sir” , deadpan, “but don’t do it again”.
Lucky escape.

email (option): John.childs1@btopenworld.com

Hi Guys’
The one that makes my brain explode is when i park up my B33 and get approached by an old boy who always says ohh” is that a Bantam’ drives me mad, Happened twice last week luckily for them i’m a mild mannered Yorkshireman so humour is the order of the day’
Tom.

email (option): rustytomm20@hotmail.com

My '51 rigid B33 has been a Bantam a few times as well...Ian:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Message for Tom Green, do you also have a WM20. If so I had the pleasure of following you on your bike for a while earlier on this year around the Gainsborough area. That most certainly doesn`t sound like a Bantam.

email (option): colinmbrindley@btinternet.com

Hell I get people at motorcycle events saying what a nice Harley I have .... Or crawling over a harley to look at my BSA.... Joe public can be pretty funny and infuriating at the same time.

email (option): wadeschields@gmail.com

Hi Colin,
Yes that’s me’ I ride around that area quite a lot in the summer, It’s a lot quicker than a Bantam and a lot more reliable’ Hope you enjoyed the soundtrack most people put their hands over their ears 👍
Tom.

email (option): rustytomm20@hotmail.com

I am often asked if my BSA B26 or the B40 is a Bantam, why I don't know, maybe people only know BSA for the Bantam, they did make a lot of them.

Colin

I think it's the same thin veneer of knowledge that makes people say 'Robin Reliant' rather than Reliant Robin, it's the only description they've ever heard. Nobody who would call a car a Cortina Ford would they. Would they?
REgards, Mark

email (option): trials59@yahoo(DOT)co(DOT)uk

I've called mine a 'bloody git' a few times....:laughing: ....Ian

Mark M
I think it's the same thin veneer of knowledge that makes people say 'Robin Reliant' rather than Reliant Robin, it's the only description they've ever heard. Nobody who would call a car a Cortina Ford would they. Would they?
REgards, Mark
But we do refer to a Manx Norton rather than a Norton Manx and a Vincent Black Shadow as opposed to a Black Shadow Vincent - well at least I do but of course it might just be me.

Stop it...I'll confused get in a minute....:laughing:...Ian

Ian Wright
Stop it...I\\\'ll confused get in a minute....:laughing:...Ian
wait until Yoda chimes in!

When Reliant Robins were new they were Reliant Robins, when Manx Nortons were new they were Manx Nortons. When International Nortons were new they were International Nortons. When Vincent Black Shadows were new they were Vincent Black Shadows, etc, etc, etc. quite easy really.

Ian Wright
Just after the last rebuild of my M20 to \'as new\' condition I was parked up in my local town and someone asked me if it was a replica...Ian
Yes parking lot conversations are fun
"How old is your bike mister?"
It was built in 1943
"Yes but how old is it "
Take 1843 from 2020
Pulling phone out of pocket " wow 77 years old hav you had it since new ?"
Do I really look like I am 95 ?

or

Hey really cool looking bike mate I really like it
Thank you
Are you going to do it up ?

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

Way back in 1976 I rode my fully restored WD M.20 to Germany to visit friends. Taking the E5 and heading towards Cologne I stopped at a services area and was approached by a local who remarked ' you are a little late but they went that way.'

Love it.

Nieuwe pagina 1