Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
W/NG replacement alloy parts with pressed steel

I have a couple of W/NGs to restore which I acquired as incomplete machines many years ago. I took the opportunity of buying various W/NG items as they arose at the local spares dealers and breakers throughout the 1970s and 80s.I have assembled enough parts (although not all)to build at least one complete runner and most of the second machine.

Amongst the items I acquired were a number of mag chain covers and primary chaincase inner and outer covers both in alloy and pressed steel.

The question therefore arises as to which contracts the pressed steel parts were used on. I would assume they would possibly be the later contracts but would appreciate any specific information so that I can use the correct parts on my machines.

Many thanks.

email (option): keithchandler@clistandchandler.co.uk

Re: W/NG replacement alloy parts with pressed steel

Keith my parts list for late contract S6287 (1944/5) quotes 2015-43 (tin) timing cover. But still lists 5710-39 Ally chain-case. But this factory picture of a bike from that contract shows the tin case. Is it feasible that the change took place for the primary case during this contract?

I haven't got sufficient parts lists to see when the timing cover was changed from the ally case #2015-35 which is still shown in my contract C13871 list (1942/3) Ron
Scan-140129-0001

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Keith dont know if you have these two parts books,the one from September 1945 is for Royal Navy bikes,they are fitted with the steel magneto chain cover,but in this parts list it shows the alloy primary chain cases,the two photos taken in Klang in late 1945 show a bike from contract 294/23/S8049 which looks like it has a steel mag chain cover,the primary chain cases also look like steel but its not a very clear photo so hard to tell,the 1944 parts book issued March 1944 shows the steel chain cases but still has the alloy mag chain cover.

Below two photos taken in late 1945 at Klang,bike is 46064RN from contract 294/23/S.8049

Keith, maybe old hat but... later WNG rear engine plates have two holes for the footrest rod to pass through.
With a steel case you use ehhh, the upper hole (I think) and the lower with a alloy case.
Well, anyway either way, plates with two holes are later ones.
When I build my WNG I thought someone drilled extra holes....so I welded the 'wrong' ones up ! haha

These stills from a movie show C5491281 which looks like it has both the mag chain cover and primary chain cases in steel,I dont have the parts list for this contract,but it is probably 1944 it still has the long canvas twist grip,later they had the shorter BSA twist grip and bars which are in the 1945 parts list.

Below this photo shows WNGs in Italy they have the alloy mag chain cover,but the primary chain cases are khaki painted so maybe steel.

All the period pictures I have show the ally chain cases were painted anyway.
The one in the colour movie is from the same contract as mine, but mine is fitted with an earlier engine. Ron
A-1940-C4102686-W5129-C-5109

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

My WNG from contract S4554 / 23 march 1944 came pretty much complete from behind a double wall when a farm was broken down in 2015. It has a pressed steel timing cover and an alloy primary case....looking at the stills from the movie above, the census number of mine is close to that of the one on the stills...

email (option): mr.bighealey@hotmail.com

Steve S.
Keith dont know if you have these two parts books,the one from September 1945 is for Royal Navy bikes,they are fitted with the steel magneto chain cover,but in this parts list it shows the alloy primary chain cases,the two photos taken in Klang in late 1945 show a bike from contract 294/23/S8049 which looks like it has a steel mag chain cover,the primary chain cases also look like steel but its not a very clear photo so hard to tell,the 1944 parts book issued March 1944 shows the steel chain cases but still has the alloy mag chain cover.

Below two photos taken in late 1945 at Klang,bike is 46064RN from contract 294/23/S.8049

Thanks for your help Steve which is greatly appreciated - the only W/NG spares list I have is from an earlier 1942 contract and this makes no reference to whether the mag chain cover and primary chaincase inners and outers are alloy or steel and are therefore assumed to be alloy at that time.

vincent
Keith, maybe old hat but... later WNG rear engine plates have two holes for the footrest rod to pass through.
With a steel case you use ehhh, the upper hole (I think) and the lower with a alloy case.
Well, anyway either way, plates with two holes are later ones.
When I build my WNG I thought someone drilled extra holes....so I welded the 'wrong' ones up ! haha
Thanks Vincent that explains why the hole in the steel chaincases appears to be in a different position to that of the alloy chaincases. I can only assume that the reason for this was to change the position of the rider's footrests?

I will have to have a closer look at the engine / gearbox plates I have.

Nieuwe pagina 1