Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Nuts and bolts

Hi everyone ,
Sorry I havent been on lately , this covid and lockdown has me up the wall..but im getting back at the m20 now and hopefully going for full strip down , repaint and pice it all back together.
I'm just wondering though would anyone that may have done this know the list of nuts and bolts that goes with a restoration, I have almost everything that came with the bije but I'd like to replace with new ones if possible and I thought there might be a list I could download or go by?
Thanks again for all your help so far.
Regards
Ken

email (option): Kencarroll76@gmail.com

Re: Nuts and bolts

Hello Ken,
I don't know of a fasteners list for the M20, however I would like to make a comment. Modern nuts and bolts don't seem to have the same profile as those from early to mid 20th century. What I mean is, a vintage nut or bolt will have a totally flat face to the surface which bears onto the washer, and probably a slight radius to the outer edge of the non-bearing face. Modern items seem to have rounded outer edges to both faces. Once you get your eye onto it they look very different when assembled - old nuts sit flat onto the washer and new ones look lifted slightly away from it. When I started on old bikes in 1983 I happily replaced my old fasteners with nice shiney new ones. Luckily I chucked all the old ones in my spares tin. Nowadays I will always try to fit a salvaged and servicable period fastener instead of a modern one, certainly in visible areas, except for critical locations such as big ends etc. They just seem to look better.
Just a thought, see how many you can salvage before replacing with new ones.
John

email (option): John.childs1@btopenworld.com

Yes!

email (option): btcoop77069@aol.com

Nooky sells a good range of UK made BSC fasteners with the correct shaped nuts.

http://www.nookysnuts.com/ You will at least need a selection of 1/4" 5/16" and 3/8"

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Great tip Ron, a few mixed sets will go on my Christmas list.

email (option): John.childs1@btopenworld.com

Nuts from the M20 era were made from hex rod with was drilled tapped then threaded
Modern nuts are forged from round stock.
Same story with bolts
You can also tell the difference because modern bolts have a shaft that is in between the major & minor diameter of the thread because then the thread is rolled into the rod the volume of the metal that is shifted inward equals the volume of the metal that gets shifted outwards.

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

Thanks for the web link Ron, just what I've been looking for.

Stuart

email (option): stu.gibbins@btinternet.com

Nieuwe pagina 1