Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Army M20s in Scottish Six Day Trial

The Army was very keen on trials in the late 1930s and went so far as to enter four teams in the May 1939 Scottish- three riders each on BSA, Matchless, Triumph and Norton. The BSA team was L/Sgt Fred Rist, L/Cpl A C "Paddy" Doyle and Pte Jackie Wood from 2nd Bn. Royal Tank Corps. Riding numbers were 65,66,and 67 respectively, registration numbers RML613, RML612 but unknown on Wood's machine. These riders (particularly Rist) were very successful on works- supplied KB25 ohv 350s in the '38/'39 trials season but presumably the Army wanted to field more Service-like machines in this very important Event. However they were slightly modified. Lamps were removed, bulb horns fitted below the saddle, large Burgess type air filter on carbs, 4 inch tyres on rear wheels, possibly 21x3 on front and compressed air cylinders carried for rapid tyre inflation. They won the best Army team award and Rist a Silver Cup (normally called a "gold"). Doyle and Wood received Silver Plaques. This was an excellent result for heavy side valve machines in what was even then a tough Event.

Presumably the machines were KM20s. Can anyone say which ones, when supplied and what became of them? What was Wood's registration number?
A few pictures appeared in the period motor cycle press, one showing some detail, but I think not good enough to reproduce here. Has anyone seen official-type photos of these machines?
Finally a long shot, have any of them survived?

This has long fascinated me so any more info would be most welcome.

Re: Army M20s in Scottish Six Day Trial

Were they confirmed as M20s in the literature?...The RTR team in the 1939 season were using M24s, a rather different proposition!.....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Here's the 39 RTC ISDT team...They practiced for the event with 1938 models...It makes me wonder whether they would have used M20s in the SSDT in the same year and if they did how they won the Army Team Award....

The normal reaction is disbelief but it is certainly true - they did use M20s (shown in press pics and reports) and they did win the Army team prize, undoubtedly because they were better riders than the others, even if hampered by the M20. Rist's Silver Cup was the equivalent of a "gold" in other trials, awarded to a top percentage of riders with good performance. He was 27th out of 28 who qualified (from 74 finishers +11 retirements) but was up against all the top riders of the day on factory machines, so a good personal performance by any standard.

I'm hoping the Army took pics of the bikes similar to those of the ISDT M24s but I've never been able to trace any. The Tank Museum searched for me at one time but drew a blank which is a bit odd as the whole exercise seems to have been a training and propaganda stunt so publicity should have followed.
I'm also hopeful that the Work's Records may show a batch of likely KM20s supplied to 2nd Bn RTC but can't get access to these at present. They may have been specially prepared at the factory.
Does anyone have copies?

I'd like to see those pictures as well...I must admit I haven't heard of M20s campaigned at that level...What information do you have so far?...Ian

Here is a report about ISDT and the BSA s

https://speedtracktales.com/folks-n-motors/bsa-gold-star-and-the-isdt/

email (option): ajay2@gmx.de

My info is mainly the motor cycle press reports of the Trial which give a few mentions and pictures good enough to identify two registration numbers, but probably not for reproduction here though I'll have a go if I can figure out how to do it.
There's a team pic on MotorCycling p.14 of 3rd May 1939 and a close up of the centre section of one of the M20s on Motor Cycle p.589 of 4th May '39, showing a "double thickness" Burgess(?) air filter and a bulb horn below the saddle. I may try Mortons for better copies but don't hold out much hope- they tend to be unable to find lots of stuff, which they must have, due to careless filing in the past.

Nieuwe pagina 1