Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Armour

Not strictly WD Motorcycle related, but I want to start riding my Royal Enfield WD/CO/B soon, once Ron and I have worked out how to stop the engine vibrations giving us white finger! I don't fancy riding in my bright yellow one piece leathers, so have bought a Wax motorcycle jacket which is a bit more in keeping and intend to buy one of the more fitted submariner sweaters from Goldtop. What to people do about under armour?

Can anyone recommend a set of armour to wear under a wax jacket or DR coat? I don't fancy my chances not being protected.

Cheers,

Tom

email (option): tomillward@hotmail.com

Re: Armour

I don't use it...I've used a motorcycle for my only transport for 50 years and still have nearly everything intact..I did pick up a dislocated collar bone when I crashed my Rocket 3 but I reckon I'd have got that anyway because of the rucksack I was wearing at the time....Don't worry so much would be my recommendation..

I think as a society we're becoming too risk averse...I suspect young kids today aren't going to be allowed to do most of what I got up to as a lad.....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Yes Ian, I suspect taping 16 red mini rockets to an empty coke can just to see how high it would go would also be frowned upon...never mind the weaponised version loaded with crow scarers and researched time delay fuse........:thinking_face:

email (option): larkesrAAAAAAAAAAgmail.com

The older we get the longer it takes the bark to grow back & the more it hurts when you come off.
I have now gone for Kevlar reinforced jeans and will probably do the same for the new jacket as the 40 year old Belstaff has done it's last ride , Actually it should have done it's last ride quite some time ago.

I did get a replacement complete with armour & I could no rip it out fast enough as it was set to croutch rocket posture & not comfortable to ride in which is why I am now looking at Kevlar reinforced jackets.
On the bigger faster bikes it is leather .

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

In the rare hot days here - I ride with a hoodie top, or jumper, gloves & underneath a Moto cross style vest with integrated body armour

It’s flexible & you keep cool on the go

I threw myself down the road a few years back in my nice flying jacket - what a mistaka to maka- never again - I was battered
Job

email (option): jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Thanks for your input gents. I think I will go the way of John O'Brien and get an armoured vest. I understand your point Ian about risk aversion in modern society, and recent generations are missing out on the adventure that older generations will have had in their youth. People now seem to have a distorted view of risk perception. But for me, I've been exposed to more than enough risk in my previous profession to last a lifetime, so now I only take risks which are calculated and necessary. Whilst I'm not as experienced a rider as you guys no doubt are, good riding and bike maintenance can't mitigate for the other idiots on the road, and it only takes one of them to knock you off. So I'll plan for the worst and hope for the best, and wear some armour.

Tom, I have used an armour under layer under my DR clothing at my wife's insisting, but it is also comfortable and warm as an under-layer. But I am not using my DR gear as much these days for longer trips, so most of the time my armoured jeans and jacket are fine. If you want them, I have a complete set - top and bottom with inserts as you need/want them. Cannot recall the brand, but they are the v expensive ones. Let me know if you are interested and I will send more details. I am 42" chest and 36" waist, 32" inside leg and 5 foot 10" and they fit fine.

Should have said, its in vgc and clean!

email (option): fergusanckorn@icloud.com

No DR Kilt then Ferg? I have heard that wind does blow cold around the Trossachs.:flushed: Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Ferg, thanks for the offer, but I will need a slightly smaller size, as I want it to fit snugly under my sweater.

OK, Tom up to you. I got out the clothing in question - its a Forcefield Pro X-V Shirt with matching pants. These are top of the line and they are really a sort of lycra type close fitting shirt and pants with armour inserts for chest, elbows, back, etc that you can adapt to your own needs by slipping them in or out or adding another layer. The size is Large and that is going to fit most men of average build as it IS stretchy and you need not to be too tight or catching you under the armpits or too short at the wrists and waist etc. Means you can wear battledress and jerkin on top and BD trousers comfortably. The pants have hip and knee protectors. Still look as new as only worn on a few longer road rides with DR gear on. I can email you photos if you are interested.

As I have a sidecar fitted to my M20, I don’t need all the protective clothing needed on a solo machine, I still wear long pants, boots and jacket, I shudder when I see young lads here in Adelaide riding in shorts and thongs as footwear

Yes, I must admit its not a pretty sight following Ron on his M20 when he is wearing his thong and he poo poos my kilt with armour plated sporran to protect the trossachs!

Just found this bit on my Forcefield stuff, Tom:

"The Pro Shirt X-V is the ultimate, highly breathable, motorcycling base layer with integrated CE approved armour at the shoulders, elbows, back and chest. The shirt itself is made from anti-bacterial BeCool technical fabric which is machine washable when the armour is removed and has industry leading levels of moisture and heat management ensuring you are comfortable even in the most strenuous conditions."

"The Pro Shirt X-V is the ultimate, highly breathable, motorcycling base layer with integrated CE approved armour at the shoulders, elbows, back and chest. The shirt itself is made from anti-bacterial BeCool technical fabric which is machine washable when the armour is removed and has industry leading levels of moisture and heat management ensuring you are comfortable even in the most strenuous conditions."

The Pro Tech Road Warrior techno shirt incorporates a shape shifting, anti bacterial eco system with a fully laser stitched gusset that ensures your DNA spectrum remains within mission critical levels, whilst at the same time controlling the atmospheric interface if hydrogen levels are fluctuating beyond specified parameters....
Man, is this shirt technical or what?...:laughing: :laughing: ....Ian

😂😂😂😂😂

email (option): Alwyndart@gmail.com

Good luck with your search, Tom. Riding without appropriate protection is the preserve of those who will never have any accident, and if they do then they have paid their taxes and are entitled to have the NHS fix them up again.

email (option): fergusanckorn@icloud.com

I guess it's just about how you see the world, where you see the risks and how you feel you should mitigate them...At the end of the day it's an individual choice and you do what you think is best...Different choices in this matter don't make people smarter or dumber as you indirectly infer...

You could make your kids wear goggles to play conkers, you could wear body armour on a bicycle, you could put this on to cross the road...

You could walk down the road without a mask in these covid times...
There's risks everywhere out there and an infinite number of ways to injure yourself...Even the diet you choose could end up killing you....

Personally I don't ride my bike naked and do wear a helmet, gloves, decent boots and a leather jacket and that combo has served me well over the years...Body armour would raise the game, airbags in my jacket (they make them) might make it even safer, I could limit my bike to 30mph, ride a trike or I could drive a car...I'm just grateful I don't look at my motorcycle as an overt threat to my safety...Ian

Nieuwe pagina 1