Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fire Service Bikes

Here are some photos of NFS bikes from WW2.
First, DRs jumping the hoop at the Reading Challenge Cup, September 1943. The programme entry reads "National Fire Service: Dispatch Riders of the Service will give a Display".
Then an extract from the NFS Instruction 74 of 1943, para 3 at lower right refers to DRs.
Finally, from an album compiled by RW Puddephatt, a picture of DRs at the No 15 Fire Force HQ in Taplow, Bucks, and an uncaptioned sidecar outfit attending an incident.
All these by courtesy of Richard Peskett, contained in a group of Fire Service albums obtained as part of an auction bundle.
Hopefully forum members with an interest in Home Front bikes can pull some useful details out.
Regards,
John
NFS001
NFS002
NFS004
NFS005
NFS006
NFS007
NFS008

email (option): John.childs1@btopenworld.com

Re: Fire Service Bikes

Bike in the "incident" picture looks like an Indian.

And that looks like a pre-war Triumph speed-twin leaping through the center burning hoop . Clearly none of these bikes suffer from leaky carbs.

email (option): fuzzyempire@hotmail.com

I concur! The bike in the incident picture is an Indian 741 with a Swallow model 8 sidecar....I've never seen that before! It's also in the line up picture.

To my eyes, the center bike in the flaming hoops is a Speedtwin with a Triumph 3SW on the left and a BSA 'B' series on the right. They gave a ramp to the powerful 500 twin. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

In the sidecar section of O & M there is mention of 300 Watsonian chassis for Indian 500cc, 100 Swallow Model 8 and 200 Swallow box bodies all in May 1942, this could be one such either passed on from the Military or sent directly to the NFS?

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

The motorcycle on the right in the group photo is an Enfield (WD/C or WD/CO). Any chance of a better scan John? Is the registration number readable?

Regards,
Jan

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

Rob Miller
In the sidecar section of O & M there is mention of 300 Watsonian chassis for Indian 500cc, 100 Swallow Model 8 and 200 Swallow box bodies all in May 1942, this could be one such either passed on from the Military or sent directly to the NFS?

Rob
I've had all three editions and missed that Rob!!:flushed: Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hello Jan,
I've given the albums back to their owner. I'll be able to have another look in a few weeks. But I recall that it's the photo which is blurred rather than the scan.
Cheers,
John

email (option): John.childs1@btopenworld.com

Nieuwe pagina 1