Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sad day...

Whether you like Harleys or not it's a sad day for anyone who likes a 'traditional' 4 stroke, air cooled engine...New Euro 5 emissions rules have lead Harley Davidson to withdraw the Sportster permanently from the European market...

I ran a Sportster for a few years and generally I enjoyed the experience...Personally, I'll miss the lovely V Twin sound burbling around the streets from now on...

Somehow a future powered by glorified washing machine motors just won't be the same....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Re: Sad day...

Mine was a 2000 model...Carb, pre rubber mounted engine...Simple and traditional...Ian

This day is coming for all air cooled motorcycles because of crazy regulations. Last year I bought a 2013 Xl1200C with 3000 miles on the speedo. It ran ok, but I knew it needed a richer mixture. I picked a couple of XIED computer trickers, a huge air intake and rerouted the breather away from the intake. Plus a put a set of 2” baffle Rush Pipes.
Pipes were bless, $100, XIED for $9, and the Hammer Performance Air cleaner.
Man this brought the bike alive. I had redden the bike for around a thousand miles stock. My first damn ride near had me crashing. When around a familiar turn, hit the gas and the back broke loose.
It became a tire burning machine.
Please tell those days are NOT over.

email (option): cbhaws@verizon.net

Fear not, HD has been building literally hundreds of thousands of motorcycles annually during the boom years as they have continued to chase their aging customer base to the grave. In theory all these machines will be out there irritating the populous for decades to come.

The bigger question is how much longer will any of our horribly polluting monsters be allowed to operate at all!

email (option): teladelujo@msn.com

John D Edwards
Fear not, HD has been building literally hundreds of thousands of motorcycles annually during the boom years as they have continued to chase their aging customer base to the grave. In theory all these machines will be out there irritating the populous for decades to come.

The bigger question is how much longer will any of our horribly polluting monsters be allowed to operate at all!
John my bet is my old KM20 pollutes way more than either of my big bad HD’s. I think you need to learn about what pollutes and what does not.
Oh by the way the Sportster has a nice set of neighbor haters that will vibrate you windows as I tool bye. Oh one more thing the HD do not leak a drop of oil. My USSR DNEPR and the KM20 don’t drip oil they bleed oil.

email (option): cbhaws@verizon.net

I suspect they all pollute beyond Euro 5 limits so it doesn't really matter which is the worst...Enjoy them while it lasts I guess...Ian

Not only Harley, the symbol of tough, loud motorcycle stops few models,

But actually, they are now into electric bikes...

https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/en/motorcycles/electric.html?country=us;format=json;i=1;lang=en;q1=bikes;q2=electric-motorcycle;sp_cs=UTF-8;sp_staged=0;x1=primaryCategoryCode;x2=superCategoryCodes

:flushed:

email (option): noam10@gmail.com

I bought new a 2010 883 which I think is a lovely bike. I've seen it described as a '60s bike that works & doesn't leak oil. I look at a big Sportster online forum & there's some consternation there as to Harley's general direction, or lack of it.
There are people out there who'd like to see all these machines melted down & turned into nice little urban people movers.

Nieuwe pagina 1