Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Just Got New Clutch Rollers from Dragonfly and Looking for Some Re-Assembly Advice

I would like some advice grease for the roller bearings (what type and how much grease should I use on them). Any expert advice would be welcome.

I should note that I measured up the diameters of the rollers that I received from Dragonfly and they are coming at right around .248" diameter. The original roller bearings that were on the bike all miked in at .249" diameter. I measured them with a digital caliper that was in good shape (rarely used). Being that they were .001" undersized I was entertaining putting the originals back in. The reason I took the clutch apart to begin with was there was some play in it. I'm starting to think that that play is normal until you assemble the clutch with the center spring putting pressure on it. My hypothesis is that the rollers are .250" diameter by .250" length which makes them square an they might rock a little until pressure was applied by the spring to keep them straight. Otherwise I'm at a loss as to why there is that much play, unless the shaft or the race (outer clutch basket) are worn. They don't look to be visually. I did measure them (OD and ID) with a caliper and they came in at the outer race was 2.026" and the shaft (inner race) diameter came in at 1.528". These numbers don't help me that much due to not knowing what they were designed to be. With a little math, I get .498" delta which tells me that there is very little clearance between the rollers and the races (minimal play). I'm using a vernier caliper which isn't accurate enough to measure the clearances, which I guessing to begin with. So...

After my long winded discussion, Back to my original ask. I'm looking for advice on the amount and type of grease to use with the rollers.

email (option): pswebster1@netzero.net

Re: Just Got New Clutch Rollers from Dragonfly and Looking for Some Re-Assembly Advice

Steve I've rebuilt several M20 clutches over the years and I've found that the easiest method is to put the basket, sprocket side up in my vice and put as much wheel bearing grease as I can around the race to stick the 22 rollers into. (I don't think you can over grease them). I then gently smear the grease round to straighten any tipped rollers and form them up hard and level against the outside of the race. Then carefully enter the clutch sleeve so that I don't catch any rollers and tip them. Being 1/4 x 1/4 it is possible for one to tip right over and lay flat. If unsure, start again with entering the sleeve.

Flip the whole thing over keeping the two parts together to then slide/tap the splined clutch center on.

The rollers can only be measured accurately with a micrometer and should be exactly 1/4" (.250) I always make sure mine are from a reliable, best quality (Non Asian) source.

A certain amount of oil from the chain will find it's way to the rollers for future lubing. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Re: Just Got New Clutch Rollers from Dragonfly and Looking for Some Re-Assembly Advice

Aloha,

Some sellers will also hand you rollers that are too long, may cause loads of problems. But you obviously are meticulous in getting all the measurements right!

/Simon

New rollers should measure at .250" diameter with a correctly set micrometer...Bearing manufacturing tolerances are measured in microns, not thous, so they certainly shouldn't come up undersize when measured with a standard micrometer.....

Regarding the grease a light grease is all that's required...This just helps to hold them in place while everything is assembled and provides some initial lubrication...The chain case oil lubricates them under running conditions...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Hi, since we are talking about clutch rollers, I am amazed that BSA did not use bearings back in those days. Just like in g.box and crank case. We are all fiddlng with the rollers one time or another. 😥

John

email (option): john.kater@chello.nl

Matchless has rollers there as well, but you cannot use 1/4 x 1/4 in there, as they need to be a hair narrower, otherwise the clutch will jam, how did BSA overcome this problem?

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welb**e.net

Triumph are the same. 1/4 x 1/4 rollers in the clutch won't work. They have to be 12-15 thou shorter. This can cause you no end of heartache when a non informed dealer/seller doesn't know this. How do I know this? :persevere: Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

['Matchless has rollers there as well, but you cannot use 1/4 x 1/4 in there, as they need to be a hair narrower, otherwise the clutch will jam, how did BSA overcome this problem?..']

It's just a question of how the various components are dimensioned to create the required clearance...

IE...you could choose to put a .250" long roller into a track that is .265" wide or you can put a .235" roller into a track that's .250" wide...Both will have a .015" clearance ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Hi Steve,
The WD inspection standards for the WM20 give the ID for roller path in the chain wheel as a High of 2.0288" / Low 2.0283" For the clutch sleeve the diam of roller path is High 1.5278" / Low 1.5273" . Hope this helps.

regards Richard

Thanks Ian, I thought as much that that was the case, but why would other makes design a bearing assembly that would use funny roller sizes, instead of making the roller paths a hair wider, so standard rollers could be used? we'll probably never know!

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welb**e.net

Is it possible to get oversized rollers, or the outer race tfars pressed into the clutch basket? My outer race as some pitting from sitting for a prolonged period. The rest of the clutch is perfect. Cheers! Glenn

email (option): Glenn.mullan@postmaster.co.uk

Steve
I would like some advice grease for the roller bearings (what type and how much grease should I use on them). Any expert advice would be welcome.

I should note that I measured up the diameters of the rollers that I received from Dragonfly and they are coming at right around .248" diameter. The original roller bearings that were on the bike all miked in at .249" diameter. I measured them with a digital caliper that was in good shape (rarely used). Being that they were .001" undersized I was entertaining putting the originals back in. The reason I took the clutch apart to begin with was there was some play in it. I'm starting to think that that play is normal until you assemble the clutch with the center spring putting pressure on it. My hypothesis is that the rollers are .250" diameter by .250" length which makes them square an they might rock a little until pressure was applied by the spring to keep them straight. Otherwise I'm at a loss as to why there is that much play, unless the shaft or the race (outer clutch basket) are worn. They don't look to be visually. I did measure them (OD and ID) with a caliper and they came in at the outer race was 2.026" and the shaft (inner race) diameter came in at 1.528". These numbers don't help me that much due to not knowing what they were designed to be. With a little math, I get .498" delta which tells me that there is very little clearance between the rollers and the races (minimal play). I'm using a vernier caliper which isn't accurate enough to measure the clearances, which I guessing to begin with. So...

After my long winded discussion, Back to my original ask. I'm looking for advice on the amount and type of grease to use with the rollers.

The rollers i got from dragonfly were as bad as the old ones i removed and with no improvement to the play when fitted , probably indian made rubbish .
I got some new old stock off fleabay a while ago which were a lot better when fitted

Nieuwe pagina 1