Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Help to identify a WD bike

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help identify this war department motorcycle used by my late grandfather?

Can't seem to post a picture so have loaded it here: https://supercarnostalgia.com/wd-bike

The photograph is believed to have been taken in Chertsey during the summer of 1939.

Please feel free to re-post the photo here if its helps.

Thanks!

MF

email (option): bentyer@hotmail.com

Re: Help to identify a WD bike

Hi Maurice

It’s a WDm20 but would be later than 1939 as the spec seen on the bike was first seen in late 1940

The petrol tank on It Further dates it to being later in 1941 or even into 1942

There are others with considerably better knowledge than me on this who will better date it for you

Nice photo
Br
Jo’b

email (option): jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Very nice picture! If the serial number is what I think it is C4353082. Then its one of 17,000 bikes built under contract C7287 which were demanded in May 1940 and completed in Aug 1941 (So a 1941 bike as John Suggests)

No offence, but I would hazard that Granddad looks a bit old and out of context and maybe just posed on someone else's bike. Do you know his age and history Maurice? Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thank you very much for the help!

Now to try and find one to buy...

All the best,

MF

What a wonderful photograph so much social and family history captued in a moment.

Hi Ron,

On the bike is my great grandfather. I have some records down in the garage which I will try and dig up later today.

Thanks again,

MF

One more question about this bike.
The head lamp, is it 6 or 8 " ?
Difficult to see the difference.
Anybody ?

I can't see the screw clip underneath, but judging from this factory picture of a bike with a higher number, I'd say it's an 8" headlamp. Ron
C4354358

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Nieuwe pagina 1