Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Matchless G3L cylinder is off a what ?

I am restoring a WD Matchless G3L that came out of Eqypt into Australia by a guy who purchased them in bulk in the 1990's. I have found it has a few G3 parts and G3L parts but I have recently noticed the cylinder has wider fins than a normal G3L cylinder and has 13 fins compared to my replacement new old stock barrels that have 11 fins. The part number on the base of the mystery cylinder is 37-15-F1. Google did not assist so can anyone tell me what this cylinder came off?

email (option): ukcarbsathotmail.com

Re: Matchless G3L cylinder is off a what ?

From the top of my head. It's a 1940 G3WO cylinder, send me a picture, and I can tell.

email (option): welbike@welbi😜😜.net

Thanks Lex a photo is on the way to you. Regards John

Lex is right John. A G3 has 13 fins. The part number in the lists is BF-40-G3-E1. But my own has 37-1?-?? (Can't read it all right now) Which makes me think they were still being cast from 37 molds? (Is that your finding too Lex?) Ron

DSCF3139

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

My G3 also has 13 fins, no markings, 3 of the fins at the front are flattened, must be to make way for the horn,

Barry

email (option): fullerbarry@hotmail.co.uk

Thanks for all of your replies, Lex stated also that it was G3WO and fins straight at the front for positioning of the horn. It was the 37 in the part number stamped on the base that made me think it was off a 1937 machine. Stay safe you lot. Regards John.

Ron, I think it could be the same cylinders from 1937 onwards, heads and rocker boxes were different though, also twin ports were used on civvy models at some point, and that's why the G3WO cylinders have 2 halfmoon cutouts at the front.

But have not made a real study of this.

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welb**e.net

I just realised theres a couple of fins That are flat at the rear for clearance of the magneto.

Barry

email (option): fullerbarry@hotmail.co.uk

Nieuwe pagina 1