Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Timing cover with timing hole

I have a KM20 that saw plenty of service. I have in the spare parts boxes a timing cover with hole at the top and BSA on the bottom.
Where were these put into service? I am trying to keep the bikes accessories to the war years.
By the way the bike is running great. It even starts when hot.

email (option): cbhaws@verizon.net

Re: Timing cover with timing hole

Those covers were fitted pre war and on the early wartime machines...The idea was to give access for setting the ignition timing without taking the timing cover off...The hole in the casing isn't big enough to get the mag drive gear out of though...

Personally, I don't like them with IMO the combination of poor access/visibility and the general 'fiddle' involved with using them...No chance to check the oil seal either...Ron has one on his M20 and he likes the feature so I guess it's just a personal thing...

It would be the right cover for your KM20 but later bikes had it deleted....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Re: Timing cover with timing hole

Yes I get Ian's point about maintenance, but if you simply needed to adjust your timing, or do a quick mag change, it's a doddle with a long series socket to undo the pinion nut and the puller fits through the hole. The pinion can't fall anywhere. If I needed to take things further, then I would remove the timing cover like any other.

Triumph's had the same idea on all WD models and pre-war singles and it saves unnecessarily disturbing the oil lines which can be a faff! Actually Triumph went one better by combining the pinion nut as the puller. Ron

M20-278

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Nieuwe pagina 1