Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
frothy oil

My M20 has been sitting for some time and as I intend to ride it this coming week changed the engine and primary oils. I drained the oil tank and crankcase and washed the oil tank out with a bit of petrol to remove a small amount of sludgy oil from the bottom of tank and cleaned it with some rag and then blew it with an air gun. I started the engine with oil filter out to make sure oil was returning to tank and it appears very frothy. Am I thinking correct that as the scavenge pump has greater capacity than delivery pump it is simply aerating the oil. I do get a constant bubbly flow from the return pipe.
I haven't really noticed it on other bikes and I suppose had I put the oil filter in it may not have been noticeable. If this is the case I assume once sitting for some time froth should disappear.

email (option): tknalder@iinet.net.au

Re: frothy oil

Hi Kim...Your assumption is correct..You will get a 'spit and bubble' return once the return side of the pump has scavenged the crank case....Everything will settle down once the engine is running and the oil gets hot...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Re: frothy oil

Thanks Ian for your reply, I was a bit concerned but you have put my mind at rest.

email (option): tknalder@iinet.net.au

Nieuwe pagina 1