Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Headlight Bulbs. Again.

Heyo guys,

I have found an LED pilot Bulb, but I want to shoot myself in the face everytime I try to get a BA15D (1142/1176) bayonet bulb to run my headlight. I REALLY need some help finding a bulb - and I will even settle for a standard bulb at this point.

I tried a BA15D LED jobbie from classicarleds, but that was a bust as it lit once (for 1 second) and is now dead, and after having spent piles of money on shipping (3 times the item cost - which turned out only to be made in China Shit), and waiting 2 months (covid shipping is retarded) - I am just done. I am at my witts end and if I cannot light my headlight, I am tempted to burn the bike to the ground (maybe a full tank of petrol+fire=fun?).

Please help. Suggestions without literally throwing thousands of dollars at a light bulb development program?

Brad

email (option): You can look me up in past posts :)

Re: Headlight Bulbs. Again.

Looks like Draganfly has em.

https://www.draganfly.co.uk/index.php/component/hikashop/product/2755-

Brad

Lots of LED's that will work on motorcycles but you need to get them from a motorcycle outlet
Groffy carries a range that will at least stand up to the weird electrics & vibrations
Bright Sparks also carry a similar range
If it is on ebay it is junk.

I am yet to find an LED that provides sufficient light to ride the Wm20 comfortably at night at any speed above brisk walking pace.

Right now there is a double dipper ( shit beam spread ) in here with a cone pilot that stays on when the headlamp is on.
What kills LED's is flakey power supply.

In the past I have tested bikes that had 2V available at the globe socket despite pumping out 7.5 V at the battery.
And of course the D in LED stands for DIODE and some diodes will block reverse voltages while others will be destroyed by it so double check the polarity AT THE LIGHT SOCKET with both the engine off & running at about 1/2 full speed.

Again not unheard of for the dynamo going reverse polarity if it has not been used for a long time.

Finally make sure your reflector is in good condition, if not send it to the platers & get it reSILVERED ( yes silver not chrome )

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

Stafford Vehicle Components/Vintage Supplies have the BA15d 6V 24/24W bulb. Their part number B624
https://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/products/b624-6-volt-ba15d-24-watt-headlamp-auto-bulb
They also have the small globe 6V/5W BA15s which will fit inside the tail lamp, part B205
Regards,
John

email (option): John.childs1@btopenworld.com

Awesome guys, my thanks as always.

As for the tail, I modernized it so I can have my North American License Plate and the Black bullet style tail light that illuminates the plate. I added brake light switches 10 years ago to the brakes (front and back) so the brake light also illuminates. It uses a 6V LED BAY15D bulb from classic Car Leds in the UK.

Pilot Light is a BA15S 6V bulb which is much brighter than the old 6v Pilot (which I have spares of in the "normal" variety. Both these LED options are pretty good. My big concern is being legal enough at dusk the cops don't give me a hard time.

Thanks,

Brad

You mean those spare light bulbs that came with my bike are valuable? I need to rewrap them in foam.

email (option): cbhaws@verizon.net

Yeah. Keep any spare bits I have learned. I use rubbermaid containers to protect my spare bits in case I need them for a later date.

Brad

Ok. So I have for my headlight Pilot an LED (which is reasonably bright/unfocused and expected) - a rear LED bulb which is fine.

As for the front, I ordered in a normal filament 24/24 watt bulb. Bright enough I suppose, but focuses well.

I also got an LED dippable from the Little British Car Co in the USA (UK supplier out of stock) - and is it super focuses? No. Is it bright as all shit? Hell yes. I'll get some pics up soonish so people can make educated decisions as to what to outfit on their bike. I want to get some outdoor shots first.

Brad

Nieuwe pagina 1