Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Regulator

Chaps

Im at the point now I need to sort parts for my electrics, I have a loom and most of the other parts recondition dynamo , but the Regulator/rectifier has had its inners removed , so what is a good replacement I was thinking of puting a solid state replacement inside the box , any advice on which one I should go for and should I go negative earth etc. Or even 12v . I'm not planning on riding in the dark as these black out lamps are pants for that.

email (option): chriscool@sky.com

Re: Regulator

I can't see any point in changing from Neg earth or to 12V.

These have been proven to be by far the best electronic regulators.

https://dynamoregulators.com/dvr2.php

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Morning Chris,
I went for the DVR2, you have to plumb for which earth you will use but the voltage can be changed between 6 and 12 volts bt connecting (or not) a second wire) which is a real plus for some as you can always move it to your next bike ;)

email (option): larkesrAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAtgmail.com

Also, when fitting an electronic regulator ensure that the entire system is functioning correctly before connecting the regulator as they are not tolerant to short circuits and particularly to incorrect polarity which will instantly destroy them...

So, fit a charged battery to the system and check all the lights, horn, brake light etc. to ensure there are no shorts and the battery and ammeter are connected correctly...Next, check the dynamo output and make sure it is correctly polarised for the regulator you have chosen (pos or neg)...Fit a fuse to the system...Finally, connect the regulator to check it's charging...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Great thanks guys , so negative earth is correct for a wm20 , will get one ordered.

email (option): chriscool@sky.com

Positive earth became the norm in the early to mid 1950s and ran through, on motorycles at least until the mid-seventies, but all of the WD Magdyno-equipped machines had negative earth.

Nieuwe pagina 1