Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Matchless G3L 1943 Fuel issues.

The continuing saga of getting my bike going eludes me. (Sometimes I just want to take it outside and shoot it) It does not help that I have no mechanical knowledge. I find that as soon as I push the fuel taps on I get fuel coming up out of the float chamber top and also out of the air vent on the mixing body. Any advice besides use a shotgun and putting out of its and my misery. Andy

email (option): phillip.campion@btinternet.com

Re: Matchless G3L 1943 Fuel issues.

Hi,

This is a common problem and in most cases easy to fix. Your float bowl is not properly secured to the float bowl needle. The needle is now unable to close the gap at the bottom of your float bowl this is causing your fuelproblem.

Do the following:
1. Unscrew the float bowl top
2. Make sure the float is properly secured to the needle. Do this by pressing on the float bowl spring on top of the bowl.
3. Make sure the float bowl spring is properly attached in the groove of the float needle.
4. Put the float bowl top back and fasten the top.
5. Open the fueltaps, your problem should now be solved.

Good luck.

Regards,
Bastiaan

email (option): wdmotorcycles@gmail.com

And to double prove it, you can leave the float bowl cap off and watch the petrol rise and stop before the top of the bowl. If it doesn't stop, then you have a problem with the needle or its seat. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thank you oh Oracles :wink: of Knowledge. If you hear swearing in the distance, that means it has not work:wink: ed.

email (option): phillip.campion@btinternet.com

Andy, whereabouts do you live? May be someone on the forum is not too far away and could give you some one to one tuition? JT

Don't beat yourself up as the Matchless is a bit of a pig when it comes to sorting out the sort of problem you have - which is very common and happens to us all (usually sticking float). There is little space around the carb to be able to work easily on it, unlike the M20 and I find its often easier to unbolt the thing and examine it off the bike if you are struggling.

Nieuwe pagina 1