Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Battieries

I have been buying the black sealed batteries at Kempton Park which fit nicely into a hollowed out Lucas WD type battery case. However, these batteries do not seem to last long at all and I was wondering what recommendations the group would have for a reliable battery that I can buy online and can be delivered in a couple of days. Thanks JT

Re: Battieries

I'm surprised by what you say John. I always buy the Cyclon batteries off Mick Ask at Kempton and they can last over 5 years from my experience. I have found that once they start dropping in voltage, there's not much point in charging them. I just buy a new one. His 5amp Cyclons are about 20 quid now. But he only seems to have the 8 amp listed on ebay at the moment. But they still fit in the Lucas dummy.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Enersys-Cyclon-6-volt-8ah-SLA-Battery-ideal-for-classic-motorcycles/114189759377?hash=item1a963d7391:g:RT4AAOSw9EtemJOj

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

These cyclon batteries in recent years have seemed to have lost their long term life - once flat they are almost impossible to recover

Worse was the attitude of the supplier who couldn’t care less - I must add - not rons usual supplier

I bought batteries from Marnic’s good lady Els whose family business is as a battery distributor for an ariel I look after - these have lasted well on that bike - winters & cold storage behind them too

During covid I found a London based company who provide yuasa 6v batteries - 4.5A & placed 2 into the old style battery box

Time needs to be the judge of this but as yuasa are a global company I am hoping these will fit the bill

Br
Job

email (option): jonnyob1@googlemail.com

John,

I use the Yuasa 6N6-3B-1 on my G3 and these fit into the WD battery box that I got from Ian. Ebay seller: the_car_parts_warehouse supply them with acid ready for the initial charge.

Pete

email (option): cruaser@aol.com

That's another bonus point for me about the Cyclon's. No corrosive acid and you can carry a spare up your jumper. Ron

It's my understanding that gel batteries should not be allowed to go flat and will not take a charge if they do..I seem to remember that they get into trouble once below 4 volts (that may have been on a 12volt system however...)

At either 6or 12 volt I was advised to keep them on a smart trickle charger if the bike is not used for lengthy periods...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

So if a gel battery is run down through oversight or a failure in the charging system does this mean it's ruined?

No they charge up ok. I've been using them for well over 20 years. But when they come to the end of their life, and start losing charge on their own....say drop down to 5V whilst standing, you can charge them back up to 6.2V, but they drop back in no time.....Which is time to fling it. Ron

It is not the batteries it is modern chargers that refuse to charge the batteries.
You need to get an old one.
If you can find an old stepped transformer one at a swap meet with a control for voltage & another fo amps then you are in business.
Modern repair shops no longer use them because you have to watch them because of the explosion potential
And of course there is a 100% mark up on new batteries.

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

Consider Motobatt AGM batteries. They've worked great for me. UK distributor ...
www.hendler.co.uk

cheers, Scott

I got a SLAA6-8F Duracell Ultra 6V 8.2AH AGM SLA Battery with F1 Terminals. Fits in the battery case very nicely. At 8AH it should run the lights just fine. My dynamo seems to be charging it. It was $25.00 USD.
Not sure if the same battery is offered in the U.K. I did a lot of looking on line to get the most AH and fit in the battery case. This one was the one and has a one year warranty.

email (option): cbhaws@verizon.net

Nieuwe pagina 1