Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Oh Boy Another Dilemma

Well some fool in the past siliconed on the chain case cover. It does not leak nor can it be removed.
So far heat, but silicon needs high heat before It decomposes. Did not work, did soften the paint. I really do not want to destroy this chain case cover, but someday it has to come off to service the clutch and the oil seals.

Right now everything is running and working great. Clutch is nor slipping and everything is good with exception of carburetor gas leaks.
I purchased two sets of replacement gaskets. I am having Trouble sealing the float banjo and the I believe the washer between the carb body and where the float chamber attaches.

These little fiber washers are nor very good on doing their jobs. I remember seeing copper flat washers used on banjo fittings in the past. Will the work here? Or are their other suggestions.

If the float chamber is to full where does it leak out. I see holes in the top of the float chamber. No gas leaks from then. My float chamber is about 3/4 full. Any idea of a measurement from the top of the chamber to the gas level?

email (option): cbhaws@verizon.net

Re: Oh Boy Another Dilemma

There is a bleed hole just above the big union nut on the bottom of the carb body. If the float level is too high or the shut off needle is letting by, no amount of copper/fiber washers or tightening with big spanners will improve the situation. Ron

Amal-Standard2-2

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Ron Pier
There is a bleed hole just above the big union nut on the bottom of the carb body. If the float level is too high or the shut off needle is letting by, no amount of copper/fiber washers or tightening with big spanners will improve the situation. Ron

Thanks Ron,
On closer inspection I found the float needle is not sealing. It is has a nice grove. I guess I need a new needle and seat.
Does the sent just unscrew?

I have another carb so I will try the float chamber off that one. The main body is working fine as the bike runs like a dream.

Can I take some fine polishing compound and try seating it?

Now if I could only get off the glued on chain case. I am afraid I will have to cut the lip off the top Of the primary chain case and try to work a hacksaw blade into the cork gasket. Maybe if I can free the top side it may pull away. Then a mig welder to reattach the top lip. Then some lead, and sand paper, paint to finish the job.

The brass float seat is somehow molded into the ally bowl. Martyn Bratby has figured a way to machine it out and fit one of his bolt on seats. Careful lapping will usually do it.

I wonder if poring some sort of thinners/solvent into the bottom half of the chain case might melt the goo enough to start it moving? Ron

Acetone may work, it gets silicon off your fingers without to much trouble. As Ron has said, drain the oil and pour enough to cover the bottom let it soak for a while and try and lever it off at the bottom. Once it starts should be right!!

email (option): tknalder@iinet.net.au

You need a large screw driver or a tyre lever...You can rest it against the frame behind the lower back end of the cover and lever against the cover, taking care to only 'catch' the edge of the outer cover...It's fiddly and a bit of a bodge but it will usually break the seal successfully....There's no 'clever' way that I know of and I always do it this way on covers that are being stubborn...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

And for this reason, I glue the gasket to the outer cover and just grease the inner face. I've had my cover off a few times and still using the same gasket. Ron

Thanks for advice guys. I am lining up another chain case just in case. I will be using the bike for a rally in two weeks so I am going to leave it alone for now.

I have removed bits of the silicone or what ever it is from the back of the case. So far nothing is touching it. I have a degree in Chemical Engineering. You would think I could make up some concoction to soften the stuff. It is very rubbery and has fantastic gripping power. The problem almost nothing touches cured silicone, not even Moderate heat. Which I have tried.

I looked at the cross-section Ron posted and sure enough it looks like it is Not a simple process to remove the float needle jet. I will try lapping. I did try some Mother’s Scratch remover. Need some a bit more abrasive. Maybe some BarKeepers friend.

Tomorrow I am going for a ride even if I leak a little gas, I only leaks when it is not running.

Thanks for the help guys. You are a really GREAT group of fellows.

Charlie Haws
Thanks for advice guys. I am lining up another chain case just in case. I will be using the bike for a rally in two weeks so I am going to leave it alone for now.

I have removed bits of the silicone or what ever it is from the back of the case. So far nothing is touching it. I have a degree in Chemical Engineering. You would think I could make up some concoction to soften the stuff. It is very rubbery and has fantastic gripping power. The problem almost nothing touches cured silicone, not even Moderate heat. Which I have tried.

I looked at the cross-section Ron posted and sure enough it looks like it is Not a simple process to remove the float needle jet. I will try lapping. I did try some Mother’s Scratch remover. Need some a bit more abrasive. Maybe some BarKeepers friend.

Tomorrow I am going for a ride even if I leak a little gas, I only leaks when it is not running.

Thanks for the help guys. You are a really GREAT group of fellows.
You remove old silicon from rocker covers by soaking overnight in petrol.
So fill the primary to the drain bolt with petrol and leave it there for a few days
And don't smoke .

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

Just got back from a short ride. Everything seems ok. Lapping the float needle into the seat worked great. No leaks! That may need to be a standard on carbs that have been neglected for years. Simple Green solution and the hot ultrasonic bath did not remove the varnish or whatever the tarnish was. Lapping the needle and the seat gave them a real nice shine at the sealing

Man is it hot here today. We live within a mile of the beach and the temp is 34C 93F and very humid.

Now if we can contain Covid we may have a little WWII Vehicle get together In two weeks. The plan is to take a convoy around Reading PA in full battle dress.

Nieuwe pagina 1