Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1937 BSA M20 control cable outer cover material

I restored my 1937 BSA M20 and had it judged in the USA was told the control cables should be cloth covered. I have the original cables they were basketweave vinyl cover, judges in US claim they should be cloth covered like harley davidson can anyone tell me what is correct. Again this is a pre-war civilian model not a wd M20.thank you for your help Charlie

email (option): millcrocfarm@gmail.com

Re: 1937 BSA M20 control cable outer cover material

Hi Charlie.I too own a 1937 HM20.The cables should be of the woven fabric type. In saying that,I've not found a source for period looking cables and have fitted the vinyl type.

email (option): Fuzzyempire@hotmail.com

As far as I can tell, plastic type coatings didn't replace the woven shellaced type until the early 1950s.

Along with Rexine saddle covers, they're something that can make or break the 'period effect' of a restoration. I pick up NOS cable outers whenever I can find them but they have become quite scarce.

DSC-0898

Ht lead should be covered too.

email (option): Fuzzyempire@hotmail.com

When I joined Bowden in the 60's only cables bound for the MOD were braided and lacquered, (the commercial cables were PVC extruded) the braiding machines were American, Rhode Island Braiding rings a bell, about 20 reels of white cotton whizzing around so fast and so much noise, after braiding the conduit was given three coats of lacquer heat hardened after each coat. Bowden supplied the MOD with cables, large and small for the Army, Navy and Royal Air Force incl inflight refuelling baskets, Harrier ejector seat cable, Westland helicopter throttle, Concorde also had cables I believe, there was a full time Government Inspector with his own office during the 50's 60's and 70's to check the quality and materials used, the material stores was known as the AID bonded store, never did find out what AID stood for.
Excuse my ramblings, I don't have a M20 but do have a 38 B26 which I love, it's over 80 years old but keeps up with traffic and stops quite well, one of my other machines is ex WD Royal Enfield Flea.
Colin

The Aeronautical Inspection Directorate, I believe. Jim Reynold's Norton History mentions them too, and it puzzles me as the RAF only took quite a small number of Nortons and there is no mention of any Ministry of Supply Inspectors who were stamping 100% of the engines...The AID obviously made a big impression.

Jim-Reynolds-Norton

new photo full hd

Colin, It is great to hear from people like yourself who worked in industries connected with the types of bikes we love. You can give definative answers to these types of queries. Interesting that the MOD carried on specifying the braided cable when others were moving on to PVC, but I suppose they were never noted taking up new ideas in a hurry, and I was surprised to hear American made machinery was used.

I also trawl the autojubmles looking for old stock braided outer cable, it is getting harder to find now especially the really old type with the red flecking used in the veteran and vintage eras. Don't bother trying to use the inners from these old cables even if it looks OK, it will be almost impossible to solder safely and unravels when cut. Buy coils of new inner from JJ cables and save yourself a load of grief.

Tony.

Hi thanks for the help the cables you show in photo is exactly what I have. They have a white fuzzy inside. My 1937 M20 had 3000 original miles (not restored) but the original cables look exactly like what you show but they had wear spots and oily that is why I replaced them. The ones I replaced them with look just like yours also. Is that vinyl as I thought or is your cable covers some other material? I thought the material was some sort of vinyl. I got the new old stock cables 30yrs. ago. Again thank you Charlie

email (option): millcrocfarm@gmail.com

My outers have a lacquered woven covering. Most have come from wartime-dated NOS packaging. There is definitely no hint of vinyl. There was a period in the 1950s I think when the early plastic coatings retained a textured finish. It may well be that there is a fabric layer underneath on those intermediate types.

I have to say that the lacquered cables don't stay new-looking for very long once fitted.

Nieuwe pagina 1