Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dutch Army BSA WM21 restoration

Hi all,

I am in the process of restoring a Dutch Army BSA WM21 from 1940 and I have noticed that there is little information about these M21’s. I intent to change this and will share some photos and information I have found so far. I would be very interested if someone has any information about Dutch Army WM21’s. I am particularly interested in a copy of the British export license which was issued somewhere between December 1938 and February 1939 allowing the BSA factory to deliver these M21’s to the Dutch Army (the original document is probably in the Archives in Kew).

This project started in 2016, I found a part of an WM21 engine in a Dutch motorcycle scrapyard in that year. I have collected all the right bits and pieces in the last 4 years and now it’s for 99% complete. I have assembled the WM21 in my workshop with the purpose to check if all parts fit. Below are a few photos of my nearly complete WM21. I will try to send updates on this restoration regularly if this is appreciated.

Kind regards,
Bastiaan

20190910-164114

20190614-091129

BSA-WM21-2

email (option): wdmotorcycles@gmail.com

Re: Dutch Army BSA WM21 restoration

Hi Bastiaan
Yes, please do update us. I for one will be very interested to find out more. I know very little about Dutch M21s, keen to learn more.
Cheers, Mark

Interesting project Bastiaan! I'm sure it is in good hands!

Jan

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

A daunting task Bastiaan to have collected all those obscure parts. I'll also follow your restoration with interest. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Very impressive, I'm looking forward to seeing the finished machine.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Thank for the motivation, Bastiaan. I'm rebuilding an 1940 WM21, which started as a frame front end last year. It was part of a batch of 211 that were ordered by the Dutch army, but ended up going to the War Department. You're a long way ahead of me and have done a great job. I'll let you know if I find any history specific to these M21s.

email (option): cmmacd@hotmail.co.uk

Very nice Bastiaan, looking forward to see it for real soon!

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welb**e.net

Nice bikes, though I'm not a fan of hand gear change myself..Saying that, at least the Dutch Army had the sense to fit an air filter from the outset....I look forward to seeing the project as it progresses...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I will look forward to seeing the progress of this machine - just a little bit different from the norm and a fine effort to fill a gap in the historic ranks of BSA military machines unless there is another out there of which I am not aware.

This one featured on the forum a while back...Ian

That guy also has a ex KL G14 with a reconstructed side car. We were going to attend the annual Museum weekend show at Genie museum this year, but Covid-19 stopped all play.

email (option): rpa@robvanmeel.nl

Hi Bastiaan,

Yes, please keep us updated with many pictures please! Very interesting...

Cheers,

Sven

Thank you all for the positive reactions!

@Craig: Very interesting to see that someone else is also building an BSA WM21. You have one of the ‘Dutch pattern’ M21’s as it is described on the keycard of your contract. The Dutch Army kept ordering M21’s up to 4th of Mai 1940, but these were of course never delivered as the Germans invaded the Netherlands on the 10th and on the 15th the Dutch capitulation was a fact.

The Dutch Army WM21’s had indeed a lot of obscure parts, but I managed to find almost all of them or made them myself. I was very lucky to find a lot of original documents in the Dutch National Archive about the WM21’s. Documents describing individual parts, modifications and even a complete list of the parts which should be fitted to a WM21 (including f.e. the air cleaner and crash bars). I was able to make a list of parts to look for based on the information I found in the original documents.

The Dutch Army WM21’s were indeed fitted with an air cleaner. The air cleaner was difficult to find. I started to make an air cleaner myself. I bought a lot of different air cleaner’s on various jumble’s and used 2 of them to make a correct air cleaner. I finally found an original one just a few months after making my own. The air cleaners were made by Burgess and possibly Coopers, the strange thing is that the air cleaner has its own BSA partnumber. I was not expecting this, because I thought BSA only gave part numbers to parts actually fabricated by themselves.

The air cleaner elbow is one of the most difficult to find parts of this type of M21, a lot of people don’t know this part or send me photo’s of the more common elbow which was attached to the post war pancake type Vokes air filter. The elbow itself is not a very good design, the full wait of the air cleaner and the elbow is resting on just a small portion of the carb. It will only stay in the right angle for a short time, I still have to find a solution on how to fit it properly. Please let me know, if someone has any good ideas. Below a few photo’s of the fabrication process of the air cleaner and the original air cleaner.

Combinatie-partslist

Combinatie-aircleaner

20200708-173115

Hi all,

It has been a while ago since I have posted my last update. Hereby an update on the progress of my WM21.

The WM21 is now completely disassembled in order to degrease, sandblast and spray paint all the parts. I have done most parts know, I only have to spray paint the correct Dutch Army colour on all the parts.

Originally the BSA factory directly applied the Dutch Army colour on all BSA WM21’s during the production process. The Dutch Army colour was made by the BSA factory which was based on a sample supplied by the Dutch Army.

I still have to do a lot of work on the engine and magdyno. The gearbox is almost ready, I can proceed with the gearbox when my parts are back form the plater. The oil feed tell-tale for the paneltank is also repaired and ready to use. Below a few photos of the current situation.

20200813-222313

20200822-140339

20200901-201912

Well done Bastiaan, a very interesting and unusual bike, it's looking good now and it will be great to see it completed.

Tony

Very nice! ofcourse you showed me last month! nice battery top btw!

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welb**e.net

My friend has very similar Dutch M21 project from 1939 here in Estonia. Few parts missing though. Only big difference I notice is narrow nonvalanced front mudguard.

@ Kalle: I think I have had contact with your friend in the past. He did send me some photo's of his M21, see below for the photo's. It is a matching numbers M21, with still some very rare original parts fitted. I think the side valves of the rear mudguard have been cut at some point, these were not very handy when driving in thick mud (as in the terrain of Eastern Europe during WW2).

IMG-20190222-WA0011

IMG-20190222-WA0012

IMG-20190222-WA0014

Yes, that's the bike. Both guards are non valanced and front is narrower than standard M20 one. And one even more interesting detail I have never seen - cast iron rear hub. German style with rubber mounted brake drum.

MG-2178

MG-2179

MG-2180

Very interesting indeed! Do you have perhaps more detailed photo's of this M21? I would be very interested.

Regards,
Bastiaan

Next time I visit him I will ask.

@Kalle: Thank you in advance!

I have spend the last few days on making a correct propstand for my WM21 project.

The Dutch Army requested a modified model of the propstand which was fitted to the Dutch Army WM21's. This request was made while the first batch of Dutch Army WM21 was produced and inspected by a representative of the Dutch Army in the BSA factory.

The modified propstand had an increased foot and it stood 1" further out of the frame compared to the original propstand. I have found this information in a document in the National Archive in The Hague (see copy of the document below).

The modified propstands were never fitted to the 320 M21's of the first Dutch Army contract for some reason, these still had the original propstand. All M21's from the later contract were fitted with the modified propstand.

My WM21 is from March 1940 and was fitted with modified propstand, unfortunately I was unable to find an original 1.

I bought a repro propstand from Josef and modified it to the correct dimensions for fitment on my Dutch Army WM21. See below photo's of the result.

Regards,
Bastiaan

IMG-4920

Propstand-proces

Proces-02

Hi all,

It's been a while since I have posted any updates on my WM21 project.

I have made some progress on the WM21, all parts are sandblasted and painted in the right Dutch Army colour. I started building the bike a few months ago and I am now down to the last few parts. I need to install the fueltank, I have finished my repro Terry seat cover and I have to make a fuelline. It took me a full day to fit the rear chain and to allign the rear wheel properly so it will not hit the rear standard once it's in the upward position. I experienced that the early rear standard leave's only a very limited space between the standard and the tire. Sometimes simple job's can take forever..

thumbnail-IMG-20210613-WA0008

picture

IMG-20211220-WA0000

IMG-20211220-WA0024

IMG-20211220-WA0026

Its looking very good Bastiaan, something I've been wondering is how does the crash bar fit into the tapered sidecar lug?

Rob

Hi Rob,

A special adapter was made which was pressed in the lug. Then both crashbars and the engine headstay were all bolted together with 1 bolt. Below a few photos of the front frame before I started restoration.

The crashbars, the adapter and the head stay were all specially made by BSA for the Dutch Army. The normal head stay could not be used as the elbowpiece and air filter blocked the 'normal' route for the headstay.

20200719-155530
20200719-155609

Regards,
Bastiaan

Thanks Bastiaan not seen that before, is that spacer also used if you want to fit a sidecar to the right hand side?

Rob

The bikes looking great...Quite a job to put one together like this and you've done well finding what must be some very rare parts...Ian

Bastiaan
Hi all,

It has been a while ago since I have posted my last update. Hereby an update on the progress of my WM21.

The WM21 is now completely disassembled in order to degrease, sandblast and spray paint all the parts. I have done most parts know, I only have to spray paint the correct Dutch Army colour on all the parts.

Originally the BSA factory directly applied the Dutch Army colour on all BSA WM21’s during the production process. The Dutch Army colour was made by the BSA factory which was based on a sample supplied by the Dutch Army.

I still have to do a lot of work on the engine and magdyno. The gearbox is almost ready, I can proceed with the gearbox when my parts are back form the plater. The oil feed tell-tale for the paneltank is also repaired and ready to use. Below a few photos of the current situation.

Just looking at your photograph of the battery carrier and note that the hinged front does not have the mid strap with the returns that provided additional security to the small standard battery. I always assumed that the hinged front in your photo was for the larger NIFE battery but perhaps I have got that wrong?

All the same an excellent restoration project which is going well. very well done indeed.

email (option): keithchandler@clistandchandler.co.uk

"Just looking at your photograph of the battery carrier and note that the hinged front does not have the mid strap with the returns that provided additional security to the small standard battery. I always assumed that the hinged front in your photo was for the larger NIFE battery but perhaps I have got that wrong?"

You are right my battery carrier doesnt have the mid strap with the returns. Production of NIFE batteries stopped sometime late '39 (and rather abruptly), BSA continued to produce the battery carrier without the mid strap till approx the end of 1940. My BSA WM21 is from March 1940, so it had the carrier without the mid strap.

"Thanks Bastiaan not seen that before, is that spacer also used if you want to fit a sidecar to the right hand side?"

I don't know if the Dutch Army fitted sidecars to M21's, I have'nt found any photos or documents refering to the use of sidecars to Dutch Army M21's.

"The bikes looking great...Quite a job to put one together like this and you've done well finding what must be some very rare parts...Ian"

Many thanks for the compliment! You are absolutely right, finding all the parts for this project was a real challenge. I was lucky to get in to contact with some people who had 1 or 2 original parts which I was able to measure and make a copy of. Other parts (and modifications) were described in detail in documents I found in the Dutch National Archive. Furthermore I collected some photos of Dutch Army M21's, mostly in use by the Germans as they confiscated a lot of M21's after the surrender of the Dutch Army in Mai 1940. This was all very helpfull to find/make the correct parts for this project.

Bastiaan

I have just started my WM21 for the first time, it went quiet ok. I had to adjust the carb and then it started on the 2nd kick. Hereby a few photos of the result.

IMG-1366

IMG-1367

IMG-1368

IMG-1370

IMG-1373

IMG-1374

IMG-1381

IMG-1382

That's really special, Bastiaan..It's going to attract a lot of positive attention in The Netherlands...All traces of the Moffen removed ! :sunglasses:

It's looking very nice...I'm rather surprised the Dutch Army didn't go with a foot change gearbox as they specified so many unusual parts for their use... Also, one small point, why did you choose not to refinish the dynamo body?...I believe they were dull nickel plated originally...
Lastly, did you find any information on the rubber mounted rear brake drum on Kalles friends bike?...I've never seen that before....Ian

Thank you for the compliments!

I have kept the dynamo body in the condition as how I have found it. I wasn't sure what the original plating was, I thought it was cadmium. The dynamo is fully checked iot make sure it functions as it should be. All electrics function, including the original panel light.

The rubber mounted rear brake drum is not something which was standard for Dutch Army WM21's, I have a full list of all specific parts which were ordered by the Dutch Army. Rubber mounted rear brake drums are not on that list. I expect that the WM21 of Kalle's friend was taken with the German forces to Eastern Europe (as many Dutch Army WM21's ended up there). Possibly the Germans altered the rear brake drum.

A year ago I was able to find and buy a second Dutch Army M21, with matching numbers from the 1st contract to the Dutch Army. I hoped to find the original Dutch Army military number on the fueltank but unfortunately the paint was removed in that area. I found that KM21 in the Czech Republic, in the end I sold that bike and it's now being restored in the Netherlands. This bike didn't have the rubber mounted rear brake drum as well.

There are about 3 original Dutch Army M21's in the Netherlands now.

Hereby a few photos of that KM21 before restoration.

IMG-0501

IMG-0504

IMG-0507

IMG-0511

IMG-0520

IMG-0525

IMG-0526

IMG-0531

IMG-0538

Great job Bastiaan !

email (option): unpob@yahoo.com

Bellissimo! Fantastic Bastiaan, well done!

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

Its a magnificent job Bastiaan.

The shape of the petrol tank more resembles the later war British Army type, is it the same outer pressing?

And is there a Dutch contract handbook and spare parts list either printed by BSA or your government?

Rob

Well done,that looks amazing Baastian. You'll have to get used to hand change now.

email (option): fuzzyempire@hotmail.com

The shape of the fueltank looks indeed very much the same as the later fueltank. I will compare them to see if it's the same pressing.

BSA did make an instruction book for the Dutch Army M21 and G14 motorcycle's. I have the instruction book for the M21, see photo's below. Nice detail on the one I have is that it was in the possession of the "Chief of the workshop Staff Sergeant G. van Rees". I am not sure if a specific Dutch/M21 partslist was printed, I know for sure the Dutch Army ordered individual parts based on the 1938 partslist. In a document I found in the Dutch National Archive the Army is requesting the BSA factory to send a 1939 partslist, request is dated 31 March 1939.

The Dutch Army had a small amount of M21 and G14 spare parts in stock. The parts were stocked in Delft, very near to a large workshop of the Army. These parts were provided on consignment by the BSA company, every year the Dutch Army would pay a certain amount of interest and paid for every part which was taken from the stock. After the Netherlands was occupied, this stock was 'übernommen bei Wehrmacht" as it was stated in the administration. The workshop in Delft remained in service during the occupation with a part of the Dutch civilian personnel, complemented with German personnel. See photos below of that workshop, a G14 is on the bench and the other is taken in front of the workshop.

20220105-093845

20220105-093903

20220105-094045

91d178faa412e60b2d62b420db950b8b17b18e8407f0b91b7c2188a8b22d4c3c

2157-035115-1

Bastiaan
I have just started my WM21 for the first time, it went quiet ok. I had to adjust the carb and then it started on the 2nd kick. Hereby a few photos of the result.

An absolutely splendid effort - very well done indeed. One small point I would appreciate your confirmation on relates the the speedo drive which I would have expected to have been through the front wheel brake plate whereas on your bike it is taken from the other side. Thanks.

email (option): keithchandler@clistandchandler.co.uk

Keith,

The location of the speedo drive on BSA's changed in September 1939 with the introduction of the 'W' series (sometimes refered to as the '1940 model). The 'K' model (1939) had the speedo drive on the right side through the brake plate. Approx 370 KM21's were delivered to the Dutch Army till September 1939, these had the speedo drive in the front brake plate.

All WM21's delivered from the 1st of September 1939 did have the speedo drive on the left side. My WM21 is delivered to the Dutch Army in March 1940 and would have had the speedo drive on the left side.

Hereby a photo of some WM21's in use by the Dutch Army. The speedo drive cables are visible, these are located on the left side.

Dutch-BSA-s

free file upload site

Thank you for sharing that Bastiaan, the front of the cover is interesting it says "Model 1939 M21", there are few references in the BSA KM ledgers for "M39-20" which may have a connection?

Rob

m39-20

Hi Rob,

I never noticed that in the ledgers.

In total 10x BSA M20 were delivered to the Dutch Army, 7 of them were with handgear change and in 'army green' as mentioned in the ledgers. I expect that the other 3 were also with handgear change and in army green but it's not specified in the ledgers.

4 of those M20's were delivered to the Corps of Motorcycle Service (Korps Motor Dienst), these all had handgear change
1 of those was delivered to a unit/department which was abbreviated as 'A.M.A.' I have no clue yet which unit/department this was

Regards,
Bastiaan

Nieuwe pagina 1