Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cylinder Head and Barrel Finishes

We've probably touched on this before but I can't actually remember and/or find it.....

Does anyone have any thoughts, theories and info on what the original finish was that was applied by manufacturers to cylinder heads and barrels ? I'm assuming that pre and early war practice was to use stove-enamelling but as the war progressed were alternative finishes adopted...?

Thanks and greetings to all. Steve

Re: Cylinder Head and Barrel Finishes

Hi Steve

I have 2 nos cylinders - one came in a wooden box and has a liner, the 2nd is not in a box but is a later type with no liner

I can check in the week - they are buried just now in the shed

Br
Jo’b

email (option): jonnyob1@googlemail.com

The NOS heads and barrels I've had weren't stove enamelled I would say, judging by the relatively short amount of service they had before the rust appeared...At best a high temperature paint I'd have thought...

When rebuilding OHV engines (B33 etc.) I have the barrels and heads satin black powder coated and this looks good and last well...However, on S.V. engines the powder coating cant cope with the higher temperatures and fails rapidly in the hotter areas...For these I still use a hand applied heat proof paint....

Most paints in my experience will fail rapidly if the bike is used in 'wet road' conditions, though they last quite well up to that point...

There is a high temperature powder available now I'm told but I've yet to check out the temperature specs. or to try it on a S.V cylinder or head...It's these that are the toughest test for any surface finish I'd say...

I should note here that on every occasion I paint a cylinder/head I have it blasted to an absolutely clean finish to give any paint used the best possible chance...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

A quick look on t'internet indicates high temperature powder coating, which covers more than one process, can withstand temperatures in the range 250-600 C depending on the process employed...At the upper end of this range it is recommended for use on exhaust systems so should withstand S.V. barrel and head temperatures...

I know from previous enquiries standard powder coating is cured at 200C and can withstand 180C in use..

The next thing is to ring my powder coater of choice and see if they can do it....

Of course, none of this bears much relevance to the original question unfortunately!...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

to add nothing to the original question, I tried a crinkle finish black high temperature powder coat on my M20 head. It has stood up fairly well.

email (option): cas.vanderwoude@gmail.com

Pot belly Black
The stuff you paint wood burning stoves with
Then a little oil after it has fully cured will stop rusting and give your bike the authentic period burning oil sm:smiling_imp: ell.

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

Its funny there is no mention in the pre or early war spares lists, lots of other finishes are described, could it be a trade secret?

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

I also used pot belly black. It has a dull finish but does last a fair while and when required run a wire brush over parts and recoat.

email (option): tknalder@iinet.net.au

Hi Steve

I managed to clamber over the rubbish to get to the barrels & the best way that it can be described would be a satin type finish

Not exact the scientific answer you require & somehow I don’t think a photo would do it justice

If you are travelling the M4 and fancy a stop off at the Langley junction, I am in Datchet near Windsor if you want to see first hand

Br
Job

email (option): jonnyob1@googlemail.com

There is potentially an answer in a Matchless G3 spares list I have a copy of.

Part number prefix "BF" Black Enamal

Cylinder barrel BF-40-G3 E1
Cylinder head BF-39-16-E2

But I suppose that doesn't mean other companies used exactly the same coatings?

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Nieuwe pagina 1